1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

MLB All-Stars: Too stupid to count, but it does

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by outofplace, Jul 1, 2012.

1. outofplace

outofplace Well-Known Member

Makes me wonder when the player votes were sent in. Lynn looked like a much better candidate two weeks ago than he does now.

2. Huggy

Huggy Well-Known Member

Would have liked to see a spot for Edwin Encarnacion, he's having a great year at the plate (and hasn't been a liability at all at first) and his bat carried the Jays for the first month.

3. outofplace

Agreed. I think he belongs ahead of Dunn, who has a small edge in home runs and RBI, but is well behind Encarnacion in slugging and OPS.

4. chester

chester Member

Hanrahan is on the team, if the roster I see on MLB.com is correct.

http://mlb.mlb.com/mlb/events/all_star/y2012/roster_league.jsp

5. outofplace

Whoops. My bad.

6. jr/shotglass

jr/shotglass Well-Known Member

Honestly, oop, I missed it too for some reason.

But I sure agree, that would have been a travesty if he'd been off.

I think Hanrahan is one of those rare closers who can make major league hitters look silly. Chapman, of course, is another.

7. Gehrig

Gehrig Active Member

Casual thought: should a guy ranked as followed in the American League this year have made the All-Star team?

WAR postion players 5th
    BA 4th
    OBP 3rd
    SLG 10th
    OPS 6th
    OPS+ 5th

And he's a good defensive centerfielder, not a DH or a first baseman.

And he obviously doesn't play for the Texas Rangers.

8. outofplace

If there was such a guy, he would have a good case, but there is not. Austin Jackson may be fourth in batting average and third on OBP, but he is 8th in OPS, not 6th. The guy in sixth is Edwin Encarnacion, who was a worse snub than Jackson.

9. Take it from an Astros fan - homeboy's rough at second base, whether you watch with your eyes or just read metrics.

That said, I'm ok with the "one per team" selection. Because, let's face it, most fans are idiots (at one time, Nelson Cruz was in third for OF voting. A guy who was HURTING his team at the time was third). The problem is a lot of the guys who qualify as reps are in overpopulated positions (2012's second base for the NL) or are pitchers, which makes it an overpopulated choice.

Want to solve it? 25-man rosters. Players pick 15 All-Stars, respective managers choose five, and the league fills in the final spots with "one per team" picks. Whatever's left can go to fan vote.

10. Armchair_QB

Armchair_QB Well-Known Member

If the Cubs have to have one rep it should be Castro. Two reps is about three more than they deserve though.

11. Della9250

Della9250 Well-Known Member

Don't disagree. Goldschmidt should have been the 2nd first baseman. Just pointing out what they could have done in order to work it out the Phillips' situation since the Cubs getting two picks doesn't make sense.

12. Armchair_QB

Armchair_QB Well-Known Member

Actually, upon reflection, Anthony Rizzo should be the Cubs' all-star rep what with him being able to walk on water and all that...

Draft saved Draft deleted