1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Sports reporter at The Minot Daily News (N.D.) (updated!)

Discussion in 'Journalism Jobs' started by peacer84, Mar 20, 2012.

1. hpdrifter

hpdrifter Member

It's not the snow, it's the minus-30 or so temps that freeze your nose hairs and make you plug your car in. If you don't know what that means, you don't know what that means.

2. RickStain

RickStain Well-Known Member

I lived up there for two years, across two pretty harsh winters, and somehow my car started every time without the plug. Half-convinced they are a scam.

3. KJIM

KJIM Well-Known Member

I am glad to hear this. I've been here (not at the paper) for two weeks and everyone's telling me about winter. I lived in Detroit for over 10 years, but I had a 4-wheel drive truck. Now I'm in a Corolla and am terrified of driving from about late October on.

4. RickStain

RickStain Well-Known Member

The state highways are kept remarkably clear. They spend a lot of money on some sort of pre-treatment that keeps ice from forming on them.

In towns? I haven't been to Minot in the depths of winter too often, but I assume that when the forty feet of snow hit, it can be awhile before all the side streets get cleared.

5. Cubbiebum

Cubbiebum Member

Here in Williston they wait until the snow is done falling before plowing. By the time they get to the streets it has already been driven on so much that much of the snow is packed down and melted into ice from the tires friction. When I got here I was shocked by how bad they are at handling it.

6. micropolitan guy

micropolitan guy Well-Known Member

Minot's in a valley. So sometimes 83 up and down the hill, or the hospital hill road and the road down to 2 from Minot High, are slippery. No big deal. You will be fine.

And although it's colder, you'll see a lot more sunshine in a Minot winter than you ever did in Detroit.

7. Mark2010

Mark2010 Active Member

In Montana, a lot of people had the car plug-ins. I never did and was fortunate never to need them.

8. Versatile

Versatile Active Member

The amount of North Dakota knowledge on this board is incredible.

9. Garner

Garner Member

Is this job still open? I've got a hankering for some Minot.

10. Versatile

Versatile Active Member

11. micropolitan guy

micropolitan guy Well-Known Member

Adam was No. 3; they have an opening for a fourth hire.

KJIM, sometime on your travels around town can you find out if the Eastwood Park neighborhood was wiped out? It was a nice little residential pocket just west of Roosevelt Park, so I imagine it got hit pretty hard.

12. KJIM

KJIM Well-Known Member

Micro, yes, it was slammed. It's the little historical one, right? With the old homes that were once so beautiful?

The rebuilding is slow. Driving around down in that area is massively depressing. There are abandoned homes and homes in varying degrees of repair. Very few are finished. FEMA still has about 1400 trailers here. It's disheartening, but the people are pulling together.

Sorry to derail the jobs thread. I'd put more on the "Run for Your Lives" thread on the flood's anniversary last week.

So the MDN has four writers? We get the paper where I am but it's usually in pieces by the time I hunt it down. Or covered in syrup.

Good luck to Adam. Adam, feel free to PM me if you're so inclined. I've only been here two weeks and know precious few people outside flood recovery, but I can try to help.

Draft saved Draft deleted