1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Pressbox deadlines

Discussion in 'Journalism topics only' started by RedHotChiliPrepper, Jun 21, 2012.

1. GlenQuagmire

GlenQuagmire Active Member

This.

Once I got into it on the road out of state with the home team's SID from a BCS school following an NCAA postseason game. He didn't understand why it took me longer than the local metro newspaper (one hour) to write my stuff. I had to explain to him that I was writing more than just a 400-word gamer. I had a gamer, notebook and sidebar on top of doing live online updates and a post-game blog. (Sometimes I had to do two sidebars and in-game phone updates with our local TV partner. Fortunately, the TV updates didn't last.)

Later, the SID apologized in the parking lot for assuming that I was just wasting time. I'd be yelled at in the past by SIDs, janitors, etc., in the prep and college ranks eager to go home, but I never expected it from someone working for one of the nation's top athletic programs.

Believe me, I didn't want to be there. I had a terrible migraine, was incredibly hungry because no food had been available in the pressbox since before the game and was staying on the other side of town and didn't have an hour to make that drive before finishing all of my stuff before deadline.

2. jr/shotglass

jr/shotglass Well-Known Member

nate, I'm sorry, man, but that's the line. Essentially, the guy was waiting to go home because you were shooting the shit with an old acquaintance after the game. Correct me if I'm wrong.

And if I'm right, the guy had somewhat of a right to be perturbed. He has a life too.

3. Stitch

Stitch Active Member

Does the OP's radio appearances lead to the paper earning any additional revenue ?

4. nate41

nate41 Member

fair enough. I actually had never met the coach before, but when I spoke to him on the phone for prior stuff, I had mentioned the connection and he brought it up during the interview. It maybe dragged it out another few minutes. Could I have been quicker? Definitely, but if you wanna get out of there, just say something like "hey man can you finish this up at the starbucks around the corner?"

5. jr/shotglass

jr/shotglass Well-Known Member

Yeah, I agree with that.

Draft saved Draft deleted