1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Have you ever wanted to punch your competition?

Discussion in 'Journalism topics only' started by Beef03, Jun 18, 2012.

1. Walter_Sobchak

Walter_Sobchak Active Member

I'm curious if "reporters" who openly root for the teams they cover, whether it be college, pro, or high school, is a regional thing. I've covered a lot of events, albeit strictly in the Northeast, and rarely see this phenomenon.

2. mpcincal

mpcincal Well-Known Member

What Ace said. And then I would have added "You should try it sometime!"

3. Beef03

Beef03 Active Member

Yeah the small press box is filled with all them thar important radio and TV folk. This is box lacrosse, so I was down around the end boards of the arena -- it's a summer league for the NLL.

4. daytonadan1983

daytonadan1983 Well-Known Member

I cheer for the clock. Go clock. Run clock. Yay clock.

5. RickStain

RickStain Well-Known Member

There are no two more exciting words in prep football than "running clock."

6. Ace

Ace Well-Known Member

Yeah, but it also means your game sucked.

7. Beef03

Beef03 Active Member

Yeah I have bad feeling if I had opened my mouth further it would have got very unprofessional.

I understand fully the need to remain professional, I just get defensive when my credibility is question at any point. Even if it is by some douchebag who has no idea what he's doing. As a reporter I figure that's all we have.

The guy has been at the 3X weekly for seven years and I'm pretty sure he's not going anywhere. In 10 years I've never seen anythign quite like it. The last shop I worked at there was a total homer, but he wouldn't admit it. This guy is freaking proud of it. I'm not even sure if he played sports, and certainly not locally or for the lacrosse or hockey or football teams or for the local college. I don't understand it. Makes me scratch my head.

And box lacrosse is lacrosse in a hockey rink with the ice out, five a side plus goalies. It's a lot of fun. The National Lacrosse League is their pro league. Check it out sometime. While they have field lacrosse up here as well, it is nowhere on the level as Box lacrosse.

8. Beef03

Beef03 Active Member

That was kinda my line earlier last night, basically saying "The only thing I care about is whether it goes to OT or not."

I don't care if it is a good game or bad, I've covered plenty of bad in my life time, or who wins. I just care that I am able to hit my deadline.

9. Beef03

Beef03 Active Member

That has been my stance since I got here, but when he starts dragging me into it, then it gets personal. Then Beef gets angry and wants to smash.

And HC, I see what you did there. :)

10. Ace

Ace Well-Known Member

Making deadline is great, but if that's all you care about, that's almost as bad as being a homer.

Or maybe you like the challenge of writing a 44-0 football blowout and making it a delight for the readers.

11. Beef03

Beef03 Active Member

Do I prefer to write about a good game? Of course I do. But I have to write a story either way and I've covered enough shitty teams in 10 years that writing about a blowout loss by the home team doesn't really present a huge challenge. This turned out to be a close game which is great, they write themselves. The thing is I don't have a say in the matter, so I tend to not get bent out of shape either way. With a 7 p.m. start time on a Sunday night with an 11 p.m. deadline and layout duties and proof reading for the A section to finish up when I get back to the office on top of writing and photo editing, overtime kinda kills me -- especially in this league where it is a full 10-minute period regardless of anyone scoring. So yes, at that point, OT becomes my biggest concern. There was an earlier thread about someone concerned over seeing his two man sports department reduced to one, I've been living the one man department hell for eight months now.

12. Alma

Alma Well-Known Member

I had a bigger problem with the PR guy. What the hell kind of question is that?

Draft saved Draft deleted