1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Montreal Media Legend Red Fisher Retires

Discussion in 'Journalism topics only' started by Gehrig, Jun 8, 2012.

1. Gehrig

Gehrig Active Member

http://www.canadiens-montreal.com/nouvelles/anciens.php?article=106781

One of the best.

Red Fisher's first Montreal Canadiens game was the Richard Riot in 1955. Good way to get your feet wet :D.

2. Michael_ Gee

Michael_ Gee Well-Known Member

I remember seeing Red at the old Garden press room after a Canadiens-Bruins game. He dipped into his briefcase, pulled out a pint of Chivas, set it by his computer and started writing. I was impressed at this proudly old school behavior.

3. Appgrad05

Appgrad05 Active Member

Red was an original. Much respect.

4. Double J

Double J Active Member

Quite literally the end of an era. I don't know how long it's been since there was someone else covering the NHL whose career dates back to the Original Six.

5. Beef03

Beef03 Active Member

At least for one game the players weren't giving him the cliche answers then. :D

Sad to see him done. Amazing he held on as long as he has.

6. Beef03

Beef03 Active Member

So who's shoes are harder to fill, his or Roy's after getting traded?

7. Double J

Double J Active Member

Fisher's, but his bosses don't care as long as someone is filling the white spaces between the ads with something resembling copy.

8. JR

JR Well-Known Member

I've forgotten who asked the question (maybe a member of the media) but it was something like, "Did you stop going down to the dressing room after games because of your age".

His answer was (paraphrase), "No, none of the players have anything interesting to say"

9. beardpuller

beardpuller Active Member

I told this story on twitter, but for those of you who somehow are not among my vast legions of incredibly devoted followers, sometime in the late 90s I was at a hockey writers meeting. I think it was in Vancouver. The NHL had sent Colin Campbell down to soothe us with a lot of platitudes about maintaining a dialogue, and respecting our needs, and yada, yada. Finally Red looked up and said: "Colin, go shit in your hat."
    Brought a moment of clarity to the proceedings.

10. Smasher_Sloan

Smasher_Sloan Active Member

Good advice for the kids: Always rationalize laziness with smugness.

11. Double J

Double J Active Member

I know you'll appreciate the fact that, when I was young and just starting to get into what sports writers did and who they were, I didn't realize that this Red Fisher and the guy from Scuttlebutt Lodge were two different people. :-\

12. beardpuller

beardpuller Active Member

Uncalled for. You have Red Fisher's career, live that long that productively, you have the right to do it the way you want.

Draft saved Draft deleted