1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Last movie you watched......

Discussion in 'Anything goes' started by Jenny Jobs, Dec 29, 2008.

1. bigpern23

bigpern23 Well-Known Member

Haha, fair enough. :)

That said, it doesn't bother me that they killed instead of captured. I imagine they were setting appointments for the Rebels to meet with the floating-needle probe droids.

2. TigerVols

TigerVols Well-Known Member

Love the look of this Abraham Lincoln documentary:

http://youtu.be/MyGIlUnX5yI

3. DanOregon

DanOregon Well-Known Member

The thing about these movies though (see John Carter), they cost a lot to make and if you are wrong - you are out of a job. I don't know if Battleship has turned a profit yet due to marketing costs on top of the $200 mill budget.

4. Buck

Buck Well-Known Member

'Jane Eyre' really left me flat. I was very dispappointed.
    Burton's 'Alice in Wonderland' - didn't like it at all. Same actress as 'Jane Eyre' I believe.

5. bigpern23

bigpern23 Well-Known Member

Very true, and what I didn't realize is that they released Battleship a month ago to worldwide audiences, so that $200m they made overseas was not opening weekend, as I thought.

I read they'll spend about $100m in total marketing (abroad and domestically), so you're looking at $300m. With $225m already made, it will probably make its budget back, but that's a big loser for Universal. Breaking even on a blockbuster isn't good enough.

That said, telling anyone with an "aliens attack Earth" plot to get lost will probably cost you your job just as quickly. The Avengers, in which aliens attack Earth, has grossed $1.3 BILLION worldwide.

Like any other film, it's about choosing the right scripts and setting a realistic budget.

6. Della9250

Della9250 Well-Known Member

Battleship through this past weekend has made 273 million total. Just on non-USA revenue, its is ranked 150th all-time in box office money.

By comparison, after less than a week Men in Black III has already surpassed 200 million total.

John Carter has made 226 million outsde the US

7. Killick

Killick Well-Known Member

Don't forget DVD sales. It'll make money. I'll never watch it, but it'll make money.

8. forever_town

forever_town Well-Known Member

Saw The Avengers in 3D on Saturday.

When I texted one of my friends saying that I was going to see it, his response was, "bout damn time!"

9. baskethead

baskethead Member

Finally got around to watching The King's Speech. I assumed I would be bored out of my mind, but actually wasn't. Thought it was a good story which I didn't really know much about, very strong acting, paced well. Now and then I find myself surprised I liked something, and this was one of those times. Then I watched the most recent Three Musketeers (don't ask me why). It was bad. Bad, bad. Bad.

10. Ben_Hecht

Ben_Hecht Active Member

Liked the last third of Alice in Wonderland . . . but, boy, it was a pain in the rear to make it that far.

11. outofplace

outofplace Well-Known Member

It was the same actress in both. Mia Wasikowska, who was damn good on In Treatment. Still never had any interest in watching either of those movies.

12. Buck

Buck Well-Known Member

Finally saw 'We need to talk about Kevin.'
    It was good, but I was a little disappointed. I wanted to like it much more.
    I really like Tilda Swinton, and I thought she was good.
    I think the construction of the movie got in the way more than it enhanced the story.

Still fascinating, though.

Draft saved Draft deleted