1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Please stop putting your words inside someone else's quotation marks

Discussion in 'Journalism topics only' started by inthesuburbs, May 27, 2012.

1. KYSportsWriter

KYSportsWriter Well-Known Member

Stop putting your words in people's quotes, dammit!

2. dooley_womack1

dooley_womack1 Well-Known Member

And stop snitching!

3. imjustagirl

imjustagirl Active Member

This is the weirdest goddamn nitpick I've seen on this board.

4. Tom Petty

Tom Petty New Member

bitches who snitch end up in (fucking) ditches.

5. Stitch

Stitch Active Member

And it's not the first from the OP on this issue. I guess it's his thing.

6. jr/shotglass

jr/shotglass Well-Known Member

I'm not perfect ... I'm no snitch ... but I can tell you ... she's a b----

7. dirtybird

dirtybird Well-Known Member

Perhaps he said, "That was one of the craziest I've ever been a part of," following a question about the inning.

I assume you were also mad about "We got exposed there in the ninth," Florida coach Kevin O'Sullivan said. "Nobody likes to lose, but I'm glad it happens this week and not next (in an NCAA regional). Trust me, we'll get that cleaned up."?

8. Tom Petty

Tom Petty New Member

this thread has officially gone off the rails. (i'm growing out my beard!)

9. HanSenSE

HanSenSE Well-Known Member

Thought this thread sounded familiar ...

10. SF_Express

SF_Express Active Member

Don't agree with you, ITS, although your approach on this thread is of somebody who's 100 percent sure he's right.

Parenthetical references in quotes are part of the business. (Our style is brackets for inserted material.)

I DO happen to think they're overdone when what the word that's been replaced is referring to is clear from context.

If quotes are "sacred," then I hope every time you write (or edit) a quote where the speaker says, "I, um, well, I sort of, um, think that we, you know, had a great, um, quarter, but, um, well, there were opportunities to, you know, open up the, um, lead even, um, a little more" you leave it exactly as is. And I hope that the syntax of every speaker, from Larry Bird to whoever else you want to name, is left absolutely untouched.

If you say, "That's different," then you've opened the wiggle room where your argument is gone. If you RUN those quotes verbatim, well, OK then.

Actually, the only debate I've ever had with this was with a top editor who said you must not take out the word you're clarifying, so it would be "it [inning]" in his world. I've always thought it was OK to simply replace it.

11. BillyT

BillyT Active Member

Does it make it easier for the reader to understand?

Yes.

Have a nice day.

12. MileHigh

MileHigh Moderator Staff Member

Agree with you, SF, on that last point. I HATE when I see that.

Draft saved Draft deleted