1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Mad Men Season 5 running thread

Discussion in 'Anything goes' started by Steak Snabler, Jan 16, 2012.

1. ifilus

ifilus Well-Known Member

"Don't be a stranger."

2. DanOregon

DanOregon Well-Known Member

Fun with an inflation calculator - $50k in 1966 is $355,069 today.

3. Ben_Hecht

Ben_Hecht Active Member

Thay are throwing the hints, ain't they?

4. Baron Scicluna

Baron Scicluna Well-Known Member

Yep, and $19,000 is $130,866 today.

Sweet innocent Peggy is really moving up in the world.

Not to mention, terrific episode, from Lane being told to stop thinking about bonuses for that year and his priceless look of "oh shit", to Pete's awkward attempt at a handshake with Joan, to Don's remark of "That's what the money is for" coming back to bite him in the ass with Peggy. For Peggy, the money's important, but she wants the recognition too. Don recognized her by throwing money in her face.

5. heyabbott

heyabbott Well-Known Member

By that math, Joan was making in the mid $80,000. SHe said that 50K was 4 times her salary

BTW, if Roger thinks Joan is ever going to make him happy ever again, in any way,then Roger having a flashback

6. HC

HC Well-Known Member

I found this episode really disturbing. The entire episode seemed to be that the men still view the women as somehow less fully human than they are. The partners voting to pimp Joan to the client was worse than Pete asking Joan in the first place. From him, we expect that but the others felt like a true betrayal. And that Joan felt she should do it? Hideous.

The little Tarantino time trick with Don coming to Joan's apartment and then Joan apparently going through with the 'date' anyway only to learn Don was too late - that was a kick in the gut.

Don is supportive of Megan's ambitions until it puts a crimp in his world. And Megan being inspected like a side of meat at her call back? The whole episode left me feeling nauseous.

Please God let us not have seen the last of Peggy.

7. Steak Snabler

Steak Snabler Well-Known Member

The smile on Peggy's face right before she got on the elevator was awesome. She knows she made the right decision.

8. JR

JR Well-Known Member

One of the creepiest scenes was Don kissing Peggy's hand--and not letting go.

Nice to see Freddie back. As Sepinwall points out, it was Drunk Freddie who initially saw Peggy's creative potential not Don.

9. HC

HC Well-Known Member

Great take on this episode. Found myself nodding a lot while reading it: http://www.esquire.com/the-side/feature/tv-recaps/mad-men/season-5-episode-11-9215532?click=news

10. SF_Express

SF_Express Active Member

I thought this was one of the best episodes of the season, and no, there's no chance we've seen the last of Peggy.

The Joan thing IS disturbing, but nobody said we had to be comfortable with this show.

11. Magic In The Night

Magic In The Night Active Member

I thought this ep was fabulous. So many great lines, so much great acting and so many amazing results. I've always enjoyed watching how the women of this era deal with being in the workplace and this gave a really good look at how they handle it and how they get what they want. Gives you some insight into the character of Peggy and Joan and what they think of themselves. I can't want to see where they end up this season with everything they've set up.

12. Appgrad05

Appgrad05 Active Member

Mrs. Appgrad and I are watching season 1 (me for the third time, her for the first). Just hit the episode where Pete uses Trudy to get published in Boys' Life. Perhaps not such a leap to whoring out Joan.
    I really enjoyed the episode. I understand the point of some that it was difficult to watch Joan make that decision, and it most certainly was. But Christina Hendricks played it beautifully and the more I thought about it, the more difficult I can imagine the decision being for her. She's a single mother in the mid-60s. Someone was showing her a way to burst through the class ceiling. Was it disgusting and awful and terribly sad? Yeah. But was it worth it? She's willing to see.

Draft saved Draft deleted