1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

The New Orleans Times-Picayune May Reduce Frequency of Publication -- NY Times

Discussion in 'Journalism topics only' started by Mr. X, May 23, 2012.

1. SF_Express

SF_Express Active Member

2. alanpagerules

alanpagerules Member

Photo from the staff meeting tells it all: http://media.nola.com/business_impact/photo/tims-picayune-nola-mediajpg-9053d5c58026e16c.jpg

3. Inky_Wretch

Inky_Wretch Well-Known Member

That's roughly the number of daily subscribers they currently have.

TP has about 153,000 daily subscribers. The Alabama trio has about 360,000 current daily subscribers.

4. Larry Holder

Larry Holder New Member

My goodness.

5. I Should Coco

I Should Coco Well-Known Member

Some good quotes in there, and I give the writer props for noting this:

I've yet to work in a newsroom, no matter how small, that doesn't have someone making a "re-arranging deck chairs on the Titanic" comment.

Of course, they're doing more than just re-arranging in New Orleans. They're steering straight for the iceberg.

6. Guys,

I'm currently working as a corro for the Times-Picayune, there is a grass roots effort by a former T-P member who has started a facebook page. It's social media time to see if they can save a paper. Click like and hopefully some good will come of it.

Here's the link: http://www.facebook.com/SaveThePicayune

There are some really good people in that office and I want to do my part. I've been through the layoff BS in Tampa. It royally sucks. Thanks in advance.

7. J-School Blue

J-School Blue Member

It's heartening to see that kind of outpouring of support for a local paper. I'm too pessimistic to have much faith it'll work, but at least it won't be because no one in New Orleans valued what the Picayune brought to their community.

8. playthrough

playthrough Moderator Staff Member

It's got a "like" from me, but I too am pessimistic. Folks up in Indy started a "Save Our Star" campaign with billboards and social and such, but there's just no way they're changing Gannett's minds about layoffs and general gutting of the product. And with NOLA, Newhouse said they're not selling.

9. Pencil Dick

Pencil Dick Member

10. SixToe

SixToe Well-Known Member

In that story it says:

"Reporters/content providers will move out of The Times-Picayune’s iconic building at 3800 Howard Avenue and into office space in downtown New Orleans, where they will file more frequent and likely smaller stories for NOLA.com, the paper’s online arm. Copy editors, graphic artists and page designers at the T-P building will then take the material and use it to construct three editions of the paper each week, which will appear Wednesday, Friday and Sunday. There will be no content that is produced specifically for print, though the company may produce some special sections."

"The plan was presented to newsroom employees as a positive change, “freeing” them from being concerned about how their work would appear in the newspaper edition in terms of word length and story elements."

So ... post more, be mobile and nothing will be specifically produced for print. Does that mean the print editions will be nothing but fluffed-up "content" from the dotcom? Advertisers should love that, the few that stick around for three days.

11. Mark2010

Mark2010 Active Member

I expect the three print editions will have MORE advertising, not less. Seven days worth of ads to shove into three editions.

12. JRoyal

JRoyal Well-Known Member

Until the advertisers start pulling out that is.

Draft saved Draft deleted