1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Oklahoma Beat Writer with Daily Oklahoman

Discussion in 'Journalism Jobs' started by boundforboston, Mar 6, 2012.

1. the_lorax

the_lorax Member

Baldwin has been the OU basketball writer for some time. My impression is he's filling in on the football beat until they find a replacement for Travis.

2. LitteringAnd

LitteringAnd Member

Yeah, I think Baldwin is handling things in the interim. Probably plenty of resumes to look through on this one.

3. boundforboston

boundforboston Well-Known Member

I would imagine they've already decided where they're going to go with this position. It's been quite a while. And, heck, the Tallahassee newspaper, a Gannett one, needed just a week to fill its assistant sports editor position.

4. LitteringAnd

LitteringAnd Member

Most likely they have, yeah. A little birdie told me, however, Sherman was going to take his time on this one. Presumably because the last three times this job was open, he had to move very quickly to fill it.

Of course, this might just be my justification as to why I haven't heard anything in a month. Still, it's a plum gig, spring and they've lost three straight to the same company - gotta think they're looking for someone who'll stick more than one football season.

5. LitteringAnd

LitteringAnd Member

Looks like preps writer Jason Kersey took a promotion up to the OU beat.

http://m.newsok.com/jason-kersey-joining-oklahomans-ou-coverage-team/article/3672915?custom_click=pod_headline_oklahoma-sooners

The release reads, however, they're still going to hire another. Sounds like quite the re-org.

6. Matt Stephens

Matt Stephens Well-Known Member

Good for Jason. He did a good job covering OKC's westside. He's also an OU grad.

7. steveu

steveu Well-Known Member

Leaving a preps opening, perhaps?

8. chase.colston

chase.colston Member

Jason was one of my favorite people at The Oklahoman. Never saw anyone work harder than him. He paid his dues from his days on the agate desk. No one's more deserving, that's for sure.

9. beckham76

beckham76 New Member

I hear they hired a recent college grad from IU for this position. So the next time you ask do I have enough experience to apply, do it! Good internships and clips can make for a deserving candidate that trumps that classic posting line of "3-5 years of experience is preferred."

Here's her website: http://stephaniekuzydym.wordpress.com/stephanie-kuzydym-2/

10. dirtybird

dirtybird Well-Known Member

If you had that resume, you wouldn't need to ask.

11. steveu

steveu Well-Known Member

Ordinarily I might go "way to save that green" by hiring a college grad, but not here. Holy crap. That's a good resume and a good package of clips. I'm very impressed.

12. Precious Roy

Precious Roy Active Member

I'm hearing no about this.

Draft saved Draft deleted