1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

The Foodie Thread

Discussion in 'Anything goes' started by YankeeFan, Aug 3, 2011.

1. mjp1542

mjp1542 Member

How was it? I have friends who did the whole hog thing there and raved. Adding the craft beer pairings is a nice touch.

2. Mystery Meat II

Mystery Meat II Well-Known Member

I've never known McDonalds to have much music at all

3. Webster

Webster Well-Known Member

I liked it but was not blown away. The beer was great and 8 of us certainly drank way more than $200 worth. We ordered some oysters and a sausage platter, both of which were very well done. The pig itself was just ok and I thought a little over done. With a couple of drinks before and a shot of tequila, turned into a pretty expensive night.

4. JR

JR Well-Known Member

Now, here's a conference to attend if you're in the industry (YF, you there?) The National Restaurant Association Show in Chicago.

http://www.restaurant.org/show/

And the keynote speaker tomorrow night is President Clinton.

5. YankeeFan

YankeeFan Well-Known Member

Just got back. I go every year. It's really incredible. So much to take in.

Not sure if I'll go back tomorrow or not.

I doubt I'll go to see Clinton. It's free with your ticket, but you'll probably have to claim your seat pretty early to guaranty you get in the room/theater.

I saw George W. Bush speak there when he was President. And, I saw Fred Thompson.

Bush was great. Thompson was so bad, he lost my support that day. I knew right then he didn't have it.

6. JR

JR Well-Known Member

I love trade shows. Absolutely love 'em

They're a combination of flea markets and carnivals.

And no matter which one you go to, there's huge energy.

And keynote speakers are there to add gravitas to the proceedings.

"Hey, we're the National Association of Autombile Accessory Wholesalers. We've got Bill Clinton! We're very, very important!" :)

7. YankeeFan

We went to this joint last night: www.sablechicago.com

If you watched the last season of Top Chef, you might recognize Heather Terhune, their executive chef (who was a total bitch on the show, and didn't appear to be there last night).

It's definitely wh/at the Trib reviewer would call a "nitropub" in that it leads with it's bar and cocktail program. But, the dining room is set apart enough that it's much quieter, and very nice. And, with an open kitchen, it was fun to watch the food come out.

But, the cocktails really were the star. Holy crap, we tried four between the to of us. Each was excellent, and I wanted to try more. I can't wait to go back just to have a couple of drinks.

Check out this drink menu: www.sablechicago.com/files/pdf/media_20.pdf

8. JR

JR Well-Known Member

Not a huge fan of cocktails (well, except for martinis) but I like they were extolling the virtues of vermouth which is hugely underrated in North America. Still love it as an apertif--Noilly Prat on the rocks with a twist.

9. SixToe

SixToe Well-Known Member

HELP! Going to Milwaukee and have only one dinner availability. Steak, seafood, pub, ethnic, doesn't matter. Suggestions, please, and thanks.

10. Jack_Kerouac

Jack_Kerouac Member

Karl Ratzsch's -- http://www.karlratzsch.com/

Best German food outside of Germany.

11. maberger

maberger Member

anybody got anything for findlay, ohio?

12. YankeeFan

I've posted about -- and posted pictures from -- the fancy hot dog place near me, Frank 'n Dogs.

The owner has just opened a new joint, which features "street food, elevated".

Check out the menu: http://www.scribd.com/doc/92411516/Peasantry-Menu

He sampled the lamb burger at a recent event, and it was amazing. Can't wait to try this place out. Shit, I might go tonight.

A write up on it is here: http://chicago.eater.com/archives/2012/05/04/look-around-the-peasantry-alex-brunnacis-new-spot.php#more

Draft saved Draft deleted