1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Derrick Rose torn ACL, out for the rest of the playoffs

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by Dick Whitman, Apr 28, 2012.

1. Piotr Rasputin

Piotr Rasputin New Member

I'll note you didn't say Rose is a smart player.

He might be, but he made the wrong choice here. Instincts must change based on the game situation.

2. LongTimeListener

LongTimeListener Well-Known Member

Just when you think you couldn't dislike Nike and Lebron any more, the designer of Nike's Lebron shoe taunts Rose on Twitter.

http://msn.foxsports.com/nba/story/nike-designer-mocks-derrick-rose-over-knee-injury-chicago-bulls-nba-playoffs-042912

3. indiansnetwork

indiansnetwork Active Member

I hate Lebron more than anyone here and I have no problem with this at all. You are just trying to start a fight for no reason. It was kind of a joke but all those in twitter land didn't get it so screw them.

4. indiansnetwork

indiansnetwork Active Member

You clearly don't understand the connection between his previous injuries and his ACL tear. They are related but I wouldn't expect you to know that, you are only a journalist.

5. Drip

Drip Active Member

He could've blown out the knee any number of ways. He physically wasn't prepared for the postseason but he's one of the game's elite players and he is expected to play. Many of those pointing fingers obviously don't have a clue. The way the game was going, yeah he could've sat out the final 1:20 but that's not the way the Bulls play. He didn't do anything out of the ordinary on the play. Simply put, the knee just tore up on him.

6. Azrael

Azrael Well-Known Member

The genius of this paragraph is that each sentence cancels out the next.

And that the sentences can be read in any order. Or in an infinite loop, with the last sentence jumping directly back to the first sentence, in a perfect Mobius Strip of unmeaning.

It is what it is.

7. Bob Cook

Bob Cook Active Member

DocTalk, three questions I have, based on my experience rehabbing slight tears before they became big ruptures:

1. Isn't the whole argument about "he shouldn't have been in there" moot? My understanding is that Rose likely would have had pain in that knee from the ACL slowly tearing, and so if he didn't do it at the end of game one, it would have happened sometime in game two. It's not like someone ran into him and caused this.

2. Would his other lower leg possibly exacerbated the pressure he was putting on his knees? I've been told that often when you have a nagging pain in one part of your leg, you start overcompensating and putting pressure on another.

3. Is it possible Rose's lower body is breaking down because of the incredible torque he puts on it? Rose is a fast player who cuts sharply, and you can see that in the slo-mo of the play where he got injured. Given the wear-and-tear nature of his injuries, is Rose's speed and shiftiness working against him in this case?

8. LongTimeListener

LongTimeListener Well-Known Member

I really don't like the "he shouldn't have been out there" argument. To say that you'd have to believe that coaches need to closely monitor every single second of every single game on a risk/reward basis. Hell, if you're going to go that route you might as well rest a guy every fourth game during the regular season and then sit him it out in the second quarter of the games he does play, because everyone makes the playoffs and the game always ends up tied in the fourth quarter anyway.

9. Drip

Drip Active Member

And you are what you are, young and clueless but thanks for playing.

10. Armchair_QB

Armchair_QB Well-Known Member

That is pretty fucking impressive. But maybe it's not.

11. RickStain

RickStain Well-Known Member

Chicago Tribune had an article today with a couple of quotes from an ACL expert who said that it wasn't the kind of injury that would have happened eventually no matter what, and it wasn't something that could be caused by overcompensating for the other leg injuries:

http://www.chicagotribune.com/sports/basketball/bulls/ct-spt-0430-bulls-bits--20120430,0,7595115.story

12. Azrael

Azrael Well-Known Member

Simply put, the knee just tore up on him. Many of those pointing fingers obviously don't have a clue. He physically wasn't prepared for the postseason but he's one of the game's elite players and he is expected to play. He could've blown out the knee any number of ways. He didn't do anything out of the ordinary on the play. The way the game was going, yeah he could've sat out the final 1:20 but that's not the way the Bulls play.

Draft saved Draft deleted