1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Bobby V Running Thread

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by Boom_70, Apr 17, 2012.

1. BYH

BYH Active Member

Guys picked up and thrust into roles they are not equipped to handle by who? Oh yeah. The guy in Chicago.

2. KP

KP Active Member

Agree with much of what you've said, but Theo never expected McDonald to get more than 200 PAs a year when he signed him. Ellsbury injury forced him to get 363 in 2010 and he was decent against LHP, but a more reasonable 175 last year.

It's like Aviles, it's fine having him on the roster, I just don't want to see him at the plate 600 times.

3. Either moves are flotsam and jetsam or they are Theo's fault? BYH - you are being a little obtuse.

Don't let my Boggs sickness become your Theo sickness.

4. Boom_70

Boom_70 Well-Known Member

Sons of Sam Horn has a survey that asked their membership to assess blame for Red Sox problems by percentage. This is a typical response:

Bobby V: 40%. He controls the day to day lineup and pitching changes, and should be setting the tone in the dugout/clubhouse. He loses the leaders, he loses the team
    Ben C: 25%. This assumes we are leaving Theo blameless -- he made the deals that set up this team with no decent backups in case someone went down. Shoppach? Darnell? Punto?? When you've already gone through Lin and Repko and are trading for a guy with issues, who is hitting under .100 (after a year with a .719 OPS), you're clutching at straws
    Ownership: 20%. They've set the team up in the long run to succeed. Theo was done, perhaps they could have done better than Cherrington. But they could have agreed to spend more money this year and started off stronger. They are making a mint off of Fenway 100 (I believe they don't have to share revenue on merchandise with that logo with the other 29 teams, and they've sold a shitload of that merchandise).
    Players: 15%. I started out with this at 25%, and keep lowering it. I haven't seen too many boneheaded plays by the players, offensively, defensively, or on the bases, but the pitchers (especially the bullpen) aren't being successful, and that's somewhat due to poor execution.
    Fans: 0%. No one has interfered with a ball in play, no one has gotten caught having sex with a married player, no one has shot a player from a seat in the third base stands. 20-25% of the fans have always been there to get drunk and scream their lungs out and that hasn't changed. Half the fans on Friday have no idea who Karim Garcia is. A ticket and a beer sale is a ticket and a beer sale. Smarter fans in the seats won't make the team any better.

5. KP

KP Active Member

Somewhat due to poor execution?

Valentine went with Bard two batters too long on Monday, stuck with Morales against Texas... but beyond that... it's clearly due to poor execution.

6. cjericho

cjericho Well-Known Member

Just wait til Lackey's healthy.

7. Herbert Anchovy

Herbert Anchovy Active Member

They protected themselves in the event he got hurt. It's the one smart move they made with Lackey.

http://www.boston.com/sports/baseball/redsox/extras/extra_bases/2009/12/an_option_year.html

"According to the report, if Lackey – who missed time at the start of 2008 with a strained triceps, and who likewise missed the first month of 2009 with an elbow strain – misses significant time due to surgery on a pre-existing elbow condition, the Sox would have a team option on Lackey for the major-league minimum in 2015."

8. Chef2

Chef2 Well-Known Member

Boston fans have to be approaching freak-out mode right now.

9. Michael_ Gee

Michael_ Gee Well-Known Member

Approaching? I'd say about five miles past, based on conversations with neighbors, co-workers, etc.

10. Chef2

Chef2 Well-Known Member

Who gets fired first......Ned Yost or Bobby Valentine?

11. Herbert Anchovy

Herbert Anchovy Active Member

http://www.theatlantic.com/entertainment/archive/2012/04/rip-the-red-sox-decade-2003-2012/256202/

12. Huggy

Huggy Well-Known Member

http://www.grantland.com/story/_/id/7844994/the-second-century-always-hardest

Draft saved Draft deleted