1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

NHL Stanley Cup Playoffs 2012

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by JR, Apr 11, 2012.

1. Michael_ Gee

Michael_ Gee Well-Known Member

I hope Game 7 is OT as well, or at least the seventh one-goal game.

2. JR

JR Well-Known Member

Maybe Lucic will show for Game 7.

3. Moderator1

Moderator1 Moderator Staff Member

That's ALL-STAR Dennis Wideman to you, sir. Which baffled a number of people here.

Hamrlik is no great shakes either.

4. Sea Bass

Sea Bass Well-Known Member

The guy who set up the winner, you mean?

5. JC

JC Well-Known Member

Yeah but he was asleep for most of the game.

6. Sea Bass

Sea Bass Well-Known Member

He was better later on. Had two assists, had a real nice rush early in OT, I thought he was fine. He could be winning more board battles but so could they all.

7. KP

KP Active Member

Also, robbed on the doorstep by a right pad. He showed today.

8. crimsonace

crimsonace Well-Known Member

A surprise to no one who watched his "cough the puck up at the blueline for a breakaway" play and his defensive-zone misreads that nearly singlehandedly coughed up entire playoff series when in Boston. Yet, he won the Bruins a Stanley Cup last year by being traded for Nathan Horton, so he has some redeeming value for B's fans.

When the Bruins got Wideman, the rap was they needed a "puck-moving defenseman." When I hear that, I hear "defenseman who can't play defense," and he (and the others who followed in that "PMD" role) have lived up to that. You know what you're getting -- a guy who has pretty solid offensive skill, good passer, but not exactly solid in his own end.

9. crimsonace

Wideman-bashing aside, I will say this -- this has been one helluva playoff series between the Bruins & Caps. To me, this shows how deep the NHL is that nearly every series has gone to 6+ games, and that a team with the top-end talent that Washington has has to fight for its life to get into the playoffs (to me, if they can win Wednesday, they're a legit Cup contender -- and as a Bruins follower, they're the team that I didn't want to play the most in the first round) and a team with players like Stamkos & Lecavelier doesn't even come close.

It's to the point where a 1-8 or a 2-7 series isn't a surprise if the lower-seeded team wins. Heck, in most cases, there's only 10-15 points separating them in the standings to begin with.

10. Flying Headbutt

Flying Headbutt Moderator Staff Member

Wideman has been really bad of late. A turnover machine. Very impotent on the defensive end. And offensively? Well, he seems rather ordinary to me on that end.

I'd really consider playing Orlov over Wideman. I know Orlov has had some REALLY BAD turnovers down the stretch before the playoffs, but man. Offensively he's a legit guy on the ice. And he still does some things pretty good on the defensive end. Hell, he's the reason Wideman walks after this year anyway.

11. crimsonace

My biggest memory of Wideman in Boston was Game 6 against Buffalo in 2010. Up two goal, he coughs the puck up at the blueline and gives up a breakaway. Then, he does it again. From then on, you knew he was done. Offensive defensemen are a necessity, if for no other reason than to have a PP quarterback. But the Caps already have Green (most of the time) and as you mentioned, Orlov in the system. Wideman is expendable. As noted, he netted the Bruins Nathan Horton in a trade, who was probably the catalyst for the title last year (and his absence is *very* noted in this series).

12. Mark2010

Mark2010 Active Member

Nice move by Tyler Seguin on the game-winner, but I thought Holtby went down too early. All things considered, however, I'm impressed at how well Holtby has played for a rookie.

Figure Boston wins Game 7 at home and the Rangers get their act in gear and win games 6 and 7.

And, the Kings tie it up 1-1 in Vancouver!

Draft saved Draft deleted