1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

NHL Stanley Cup Playoffs 2012

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by JR, Apr 11, 2012.

1. derwood

derwood Active Member

http://phillydailynews.newspaperdirect.com/epaper/viewer.aspx

2. Whatever . . . it was kind of funny. But considering Sid was fighting, well kind of fighting, I don't get it. I guess the days of covering the sporting event are way gone.

3. Walter_Sobchak

Walter_Sobchak Active Member

This is the total Bruins honk in me, but one of my favorite parts of the season was seeing Adam McQuaid beat the absolute bejeesus out of Torres earlier this year.

That hit was incredibly scary. And the Quenneville interview from the bench in the immediate aftermath might not have been the most prudent course of action.

Throw him out for the rest of the playoffs.

4. Dick Whitman

Dick Whitman Well-Known Member

Good news is that Hossa was treated and released from the hospital last night.

Phew.

5. JC

JC Well-Known Member

The precedent is 5 regular season games. NHL discipline is a joke.

6. HC

HC Well-Known Member

Another good one from Damian Cox: http://thestar.blogs.com/thespin/

Modano's point, of course, and he should know, is that the NHL has constantly found itself with tiny TV ratings and revenue in the U.S. below sports like bowling because it has consistently failed to produce a package in which skill is featured ahead of goons and blood. (Of course, you can now expect the CBC's second period clown to take umbrage and first insult Modano's nationality, then call him a turncoat and a "puke," blame him for the bloodshed at Vimy Ridge then throw out a series of inaccurate and misleading "stats" that he will claim proves the 1999-00 Mississauga Ice Dogs were the greatest junior team ever to play.)

7. bigpern23

bigpern23 Well-Known Member

I've seen this three or four times the past two weeks, but when the hell did "stretchered" become a verb?

8. Sea Bass

Sea Bass Well-Known Member

Let me be the voice in the wilderness. The 0:54 mark of this clip slows down the hit. I don't think it looks all that bad. Charging? OK. I'm not sure the "throw him out for the playoffs" histrionics are all that necessary though.

9. Uncle.Ruckus

Uncle.Ruckus Guest

Good thing almost no one agrees with you.

Torres has been suspended indefinitely, pending a Friday in-person hearing.

10. Dick Whitman

Dick Whitman Well-Known Member

In full sprint, he left his feet to shoulder someone in the head.

In the first period of the first game after his goal keeper got laid out.

The official who was staring right at the play should be suspended indefinitely, as well.

Not to get overly dramatic, but Torres could have killed the guy. Or cost him years off his career.

11. RickStain

RickStain Well-Known Member

Charging, late and targetting the head. He's not going to be thrown out of the playoffs, but what more do you need before it becomes "that bad"?

I stopped watching the game before it was over. The cheap shots and retaliations are just going to keep coming, and it's not fun watching knowing these guys are trying to literally do brain damage to each other. Seeing what happened to Hossa there, and Sedin recently, and it's just hard to get excited about a hockey game.

I'll get over it by game four, probably.

12. HC

HC Well-Known Member

http://www.theglobeandmail.com/sports/hockey/a-lack-of-courage-from-all-corners-of-the-nhl-leaves-playoffs-in-tatters/article2406206/

Draft saved Draft deleted