1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

USAT reorg

Discussion in 'Journalism topics only' started by 1HPGrad, Mar 1, 2012.

1. geddymurphy

geddymurphy Member

I doubt it. I'd imagine they're looking at Beusse/Morgan/Ahern favorites from elsewhere. Hopefully also looking at people who already have these jobs or similar jobs at USAT.

(I'm overstating slightly, but yeah, I can't imagine they'd bump a USATer for someone else within Gannett. Finding room for "their guys" would be something different. Could be wrong, but I'd be really surprised.)

2. Fran Curci

Fran Curci Well-Known Member

True; cronyism certainly helped with hiring of editors at Yahoo. Not that they didn't hire talented cronies.

3. geddymurphy

geddymurphy Member

Sure. The difference was that Yahoo was building up. USAT is renovating. Could be bad for some of the people who've been there a while.

4. Fran Curci

You're right. If they don't do a serious shake-up, it'll look like they failed. Prediction: Monte Lorell gets moved over to handle either a) vague job on news desk; b) "new products and innovations" outside of the newsroom; or c) special assistant at corporate offices in McLean.

5. Joe Williams

Joe Williams Well-Known Member

Funny how the management layer rarely looks as hard at its own as a place to shed $. Rank-and-filers rarely get put to pasture in dead-end positions wtih full pay and benefits but, yes, we see it quite often with those higher up on the ladders.

BTW, this business doesn't pay nearly enough to treat itself like a true meritocracy. There should be some obligation to the people who've built lives around their jobs and workplaces, as long as they're willing and able to work hard and perform well. New bosses deciding to purchase or rearrange furniture to satisfy their own whims and friendships are wrong to wreak havoc on grunt-workers' lives.

Pay pro-sport salaries and that would be more tolerable. Every year worked could fund 4-5 years unemployed down the road. But at these rates? A huge part of being a manager is to make things work with the staff you inherit.

6. Editude

Editude Active Member

According to the Gannett Blog, several top editors have been let go.

7. thegrifter

thegrifter Member

Wondering who

8. Fran Curci

Gannett blog sez: The dismantling of Sports has begun at USA Today. Out: editor Monte Lorell, deputy Jim Welsh, senior editor Matt Cimento and several others. Reporters and coluumnists learn their fate next month.

So who is in charge? Alexander Haig?

9. MileHigh

MileHigh Moderator Staff Member

That's more than a dismantling. That's a nuclear bomb.

10. geddymurphy

geddymurphy Member

Morgan via remote control.

My goodness -- Gannett Blog is really out at sea about all this. No post about it. I couldn't even find it in the comments. But there's a full post about a link to the USAT store. One of these days, Jim is going to have to bite the bullet and study how the Web works beyond his blog.

11. steveu

steveu Well-Known Member

Geddy, did you just do a Chuck reference on us? If so, well played.

12. geddymurphy

geddymurphy Member

Sadly, I wasn't aware of it. I'm not that clever.

Draft saved Draft deleted