1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Furman Bisher has died at 93

Discussion in 'Journalism topics only' started by jemaz, Mar 18, 2012.

1. jaredk

jaredk Member

Divorce happened.

Kindred mentions the late love in Furman's life...
    http://sportsjournalism.org/sports-media-news/a-life-gone-too-soon-a-sportswriting-legend-that-lives-on/

2. Moderator1

Moderator1 Moderator Staff Member

Great stuff Michelle

3. buckweaver

buckweaver Active Member

I had the pleasure of serving on a Shoeless Joe Jackson panel with Furman two years ago. We did the smartest thing possible: basically gave Furman the mic and let him go. I could have listened to him tell baseball stories for hours.

And I could read stories about him, like those above by Hinton and Schultz and Hiskey and Bradley, for hours, too. Thanks for sharing, y'all.

(But please, one correction to this oft-repeated claim: Furman did not get the only post-Black Sox interview of Joe Jackson in 1949. Shirley Povich, Scoop Latimer, Joe Williams and others interviewed Jackson, too, between the years 1919 and '49. Furman did, however, get the last major sit-down interview with Jackson before the latter's death in 1951.)

4. Smasher_Sloan

Smasher_Sloan Active Member

5. SF_Express

SF_Express Active Member

Michelle, that's a great column. People who post their own work on here either have big egos or have said something worthwhile. Yours is squarely in the second category. Thank you.

6. I'm just dumb enough to post under my own name ! Thanks for reading the piece. Hopefully someone (Mr. Kindred??) will post about the Masters press room, if anything is done to mark his passing.

7. Dave Kindred

Dave Kindred Member

First, hooray for Michelle. She knew the Furman everyone should have known.

The Augusta people will acknowledge Furman's life. It will be done, I believe, in a way he'd love.

Because I'm teaching, I won't get to my seat until Wednesday. Someone will report before then. If not, I will. For years now, I've been in the seat to his right. I know this: it will be a while before the room seems full.

8. gingerbread

gingerbread Well-Known Member

What a lovely remembrance.
    This part especially struck me as such a simple but poignant observation by Michelle:

I liked how he mentioned the absence of buttermilk on restaurant menus. When some sports radio guys mocked him, I bristled. We all hold onto something now that one day will judge us as old; the longer that Furman bore witness to what he saw and felt and cared about, the more boldness that required.
    No wonder most people retire.

9. I've heard that a floppy Masters hat similar to the one Furman used to wear was left at his media center seat C11.

10. Dave Kindred

Dave Kindred Member

As his wife left Furman's old yellow Masters bucket hat on his casket during the funeral service, Augusta National has left such a hat on a stand at his seat in the press building.

Alex Micelli has tweeted a photo (forgive him the misspelling).
    http://campl.us/iy5B

11. Versatile

Versatile Active Member

Then again, you misspelled Miceli's name. ;D

Draft saved Draft deleted