1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Photo archiving software

Discussion in 'Journalism topics only' started by Gomer, Mar 3, 2012.

1. Gomer

Gomer Active Member

What software does your paper use for archiving photos? My former ME tried to save money by using freeware but that has backfired as it's crashed twice since he left the paper, losing hundreds of photos as a result.

I did a search and found some suggestions. Extensis Portfolio Server, Adobe Lightroom and Photo Mechanic were all mentioned but Portfolio seems to be more server-friendly. I tried Adobe Bridge but it slows our network to a crawl when you try to do a search of the server.

We're on Mac OS, have about 10 computers in the newsroom that need to be able to constantly search, file to and download from a central server. I'm looking for a variety of options to present my IT guy and boss.

Any ideas?

2. YankeessSuck

YankeessSuck Member

We use software called SCC MediaGrid. Speaking as a page designer, it's fantastic. Every photo uploaded to it is archived and can be readily found. You can archive AP photos and we can even archive our news pages. I can do a slug search for a specific date or name and all news pages or photos with said person or date will come up. I was writing a headline one night and thought it sounded familiar. Typed in the headline in mediagrid and sure enough the headline was used about two years ago.

We've had it for quite some time now, but I'm sure there are some more advanced software out there. But as a desk guy, I love it.

3. Gomer

Gomer Active Member

That's the kind of thing I'm looking for. Thanks.

Draft saved Draft deleted