1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Updated thread - What TV commercial gets on your nerves?

Discussion in 'Anything goes' started by Yawn, Dec 1, 2006.

1. Batman

Batman Well-Known Member

This one was pretty good.

2. BDC99

BDC99 Well-Known Member

He went to Jared!

3. murphyc

murphyc Well-Known Member

I saw the Jack in the Box ad for the first time last night with the guy marrying bacon. I like me some bacon, but the commercial grosses me out.

4. dieditor

dieditor Member

"You may now eat the bride." Snicker.

5. Yodel

Yodel Active Member

The Stu Scott "you've never seen this" commercials. I really wish I hadn't seen them.

6. BDC99

BDC99 Well-Known Member

The newer Old Spice commercials with the guy invading other commercials was funny once. Once.

7. WolvEagle

WolvEagle Well-Known Member

Saw an ad last night for Target in which a bunch of people jump out of a hot-air balloon basket and magically change other people's clothes into more colorful ones - all the while, some dude's singing in French. At the end, the people jump back into the basket and the balloon launches. Only then do they tell you it's for Target.

Fail.

8. Bubbler

Bubbler Well-Known Member

Any phone commercial that touts 4G with a bunch of dickhead assholes proclaiming that they got their precious text/email/internet site seconds ahead of someone else.

Here, let me send you an image of how I feel about your awesome 4G.

[​IMG]

Hope it transmitted good and fast for you.

Last edited by a moderator: Dec 15, 2014
  9. BDC99

BDC99 Well-Known Member

That is sooo 29 seconds ago!

10. dixiehack

dixiehack Well-Known Member

The Crest Whitestrips ad where the woman's "before" teeth look nicer than anything I will ever have as long as I live.

11. Wenders

Wenders Well-Known Member

THIS. So much this! If I looked in the mirror and had that chick's before teeth, I'd be freaking ecstatic.

12. Bubbler

Bubbler Well-Known Member

Hate to go off-board, but I saw this billboard today and it just pissed me off.

[​IMG]

First of all, this entire campaign is predicated on the notion that someone can be inspired via a bunch of banal platitudinal bullshit from a billboard. But that's fine. If you are so hurting for inspiration in your life that you need to find it on your nearest major highway, by all means, be inspired away.

But if you're going to choose someone to be inspirational for one of these spots, there isn't anyone better than a fictional Muppet? Seriously? They've run out of real people to pimp for these ads?

Don't get me wrong. I love the Muppets. I like Kermit The Frog.

But inspirational? Really? Someone sticks his/her hand up his ass and makes him say whatever they want. What in green fuck is so inspirational about that?

In theory, Kermit can say literally anything. Left to the wrong devices, Kermit could say all kinds of uninspirational, offensive shit.

A nefarious no-gooder could pick him up and proclaim, "Hi ho! The Holocaust is a myth perpetrated by a global Pan-Zionist conspiracy! YAAAAY! (waves arms wildly)"

Or, "Kermit The Frog here! It's not that easy being green ... Having to spend each day the color of the leaves ... When I think it could be nicer being black, or yellow, or brown ... I recoil in horror and elicit a frown."

But even if you dismiss that, what is actually presented as inspirational on that billboard is not.

Eats flies? I know that's presented as a counter-point to the point that he's inspirational, but he's, you know, a frog. Of course he fucking eats flies, what else would he eat? Wait ... no. He's not a real frog, so he doesn't even do that. Fail.

Dates a pig? First off, I've never understood what Kermit has ever seen in Miss Piggy. By neither real nor anthropomorphic standards does Miss Piggy come within a furlong of hotness.

Has anyone once watched a Muppet production and thought to themselves, "Damn ... Piggy is a fucking goddess!" Highly doubtful. Men masturbate to just about anything, but dollars to donuts, I'll bet Piggy would rank near the bottom of puppets to masturbate to.

Even below Madame.

[​IMG]

Rrrrrrow!

Miss Piggy is like that Twilight Zone episode, you know, the one where the old dying patriarch makes his kin where masks, and then when he dies, the masks become permanent features on their faces? Or is it the one where everyone was in a pig-faced world and the hot chick was considered ugly? Was that even Twilight Zone or Outer Limits? Fuck.

Not only is Miss Piggy not hot, she's also a raging bitch. Is there anyone out there who actually likes Miss Piggy? Isn't she kind of the Scrappy Doo of the Muppets? Besides Pigs In Space, she never really did shit on the Muppet Show, other than act like an intolerable diva.

She's not even really a good role model for women. I'm convinced that Jim Henson, who had very few women characters on the Muppets, designed Miss Piggy to embody the stereotype that all successful women had to be bitchy.

Kermit's relationship with Piggy is the hetero version of the Bert and Ernie dynamic on Sesame Street. He's puts up with so much bullshit. What a pussy. I refuse to derive inspiration from a cuckolded frog.

So he eats flies, dates a pig and he's inspirational because he's a Hollywood star? What kind of moronic horseshit is that?

Charlie Sheen mainlines cocaine and bangs hookers by the gross and he's a Hollywood star. Tom Cruise believes he's a Thetan trapped in a meat body, doesn't believe in mental illness and he's a big Hollywood star. Angelina Jolie was once so drug-addled that she considered hiring a hitman to kill her and she apparently has some sort of mysterious third leg, but she's a Hollywood star. Why not use them for inspiration?

If I had to be inspired by a Muppets character, it would be this dude ...

[​IMG]

Why? I don't know. I just wanted to post his picture.

Last edited by a moderator: Dec 15, 2014
Draft saved Draft deleted