1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

The "o-bitch-uary" "trend"

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by Dick Whitman, Feb 28, 2012.

1. SportsDude

SportsDude Active Member

The former Dr. Saturday mentioned this on his Twitter feed. Slate is turning into garbage at this point. I haven't been there since Hitchens died, after this obit I definitely won't be going over.

If you are going to be contrarian, at least write well as a contrarian.

2. Double J

Double J Active Member

3. Huggy

Huggy Well-Known Member

I had no idea Michael Cera was involved, good guy from my hometown. Agree completely with the cult-like potential of the Berenstain Bears and their stubborn refusal to use given names.

But it was harmless stuff as far as we were concerned, Huggy Jr. liked the books and watched the TV show on occasion.

Now Caillou on the other hand....

4. Baron Scicluna

Baron Scicluna Well-Known Member

Don't get me started on Caillou.

I was almost rooting for some child abuse in that show.

5. Huggy

Huggy Well-Known Member

My wife's cousin told us to make our house a Caillou-free zone and we did. Best parenting advice I ever received.

6. Guy_Incognito

Guy_Incognito Well-Known Member

Really? We have a couple of the little books- I think potty training & picky eating. What's so bad?

7. Herbert Anchovy

Herbert Anchovy Active Member

A lead cartoon character shouldn't be as damned whiny as Caillou. There's nothing entertaining about that, even to a 4-year-old.

8. Webster

Webster Well-Known Member

I like Calliou. Berenstain Bears are way more annoying.

Strange thing which I didn't realize until someone gave us one of the books is that the Berenstain Bears have a series of books which are based Christian teachings. Someone gave one as part of a birthday present to my daughter, didn't realize that it wasn't one of their secular books and was then horrified because she didn't want us to think that they were trying to convert us.

9. dixiehack

dixiehack Well-Known Member

Caillou was great, easily one of the best parts of the PBS Kids day after suffering through the Death Valley of Barney and Dragontails.

10. Herbert Anchovy

Herbert Anchovy Active Member

I'll take Caillou over Thomas the Tank Engine. That show weirds me out.

[​IMG]

11. UPChip

UPChip Well-Known Member

The thing that always got me about Caillou was how lazy the animation was. Sometimes they'd draw half the backgroud, sometimes less. What does that teach our children? Damn Quebecers.

12. cyclingwriter

cyclingwriter Active Member

We were a Caillou free zone when my daughter was in that stage. He was a balder, whinier Charlie Brown.

Draft saved Draft deleted