1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

The Office running thread

Discussion in 'Anything goes' started by mustangj17, Oct 16, 2008.

1. Oscar Gamble

Oscar Gamble New Member

Say goodbye to Robert California:

http://collider.com/james-spader-leaving-the-office/148435/

2. bigpern23

bigpern23 Well-Known Member

Honestly, I don't think the show misses Steve Carell that much. You can make the argument that the writing isn't as sharp now as it was in say, season three or four, but I don't think Carell's absence is hindering the show at all.

And it's still better than 95 percent of the comedies on TV.

3. billikens

billikens Member

I think Carrell's absence has been a large hindrance to the show this season, mostly because Michael Scott gave the show a focus that it's lacked this season up until the last few episodes. I'd agree the writing has been off, and it's not as funny or poignant as it once was (although I still watch every week), but I think part of it has to do with missing Carrell. The Office world revolved around Michael Scott, and they haven't found a replacement for his absence. Granted that focus wasn't always to the show's benefit, but without him, this entire season felt somewhat directionless until the group went to Florida.

4. Big Circus

Big Circus Well-Known Member

This. Also, it's becoming clearer and clearer that Andy Bernard sucks.

5. Stoney

Stoney Well-Known Member

Disagree. I don't think another year of Michael Scott's antics would've made much difference at all. This show's writing had already been steadily declining for about three seasons now, and Carrell's act had been growing stale as well. Simply a case of a show that needs to be put out to pasture. It was a great show for it's first few seasons, but it is well past it's expiration date now.

I'll give Carrell credit for knowing when to jump off a sinking ship, though. A lot of folks will now assume his departure killed the show, but the truth is it was already circling the drain when he jumped.

6. Smasher_Sloan

Smasher_Sloan Active Member

OK, it's not better than "How I Met Your Mother," "30 Rock," "Parks and Recreation," "The Middle," "Modern Family," "Big Bang Theory," "New Girl," "The League" and even "Mike and Molly."

So I'm thinking that 95 percent is way high.

7. jr/shotglass

jr/shotglass Well-Known Member

Better than "New Girl" and "The League." (You went with FX's second-best sitcom?)

Either/or with "HIMYM" and "The Middle."

I'll watch it every time over "30 Rock," but I understand that's some people's cup of tea.

8. imjustagirl

imjustagirl Active Member

The League is awesome.

9. jr/shotglass

FX's second-best sitcom.

And actually, "New Girl" isn't as good as what follows it.

10. bigpern23

bigpern23 Well-Known Member

Of that list, I'll give you HIMYM and Big Bang Theory. Toss up perhaps with 30 Rock. I'm not a fan of Parks and Rec, haven't seen New Girl or The League, Mike and Molly is awful and Modern Family doesn't do it for me, but I understand why it's so popular.

The Office, HIMYM and Big Bang Theory are the only comedies on my DVR, so yes, I believe it's better than 95 percent of comedies out there. I don't expect everyone to agree with that, but for my tastes, it is.

11. jr/shotglass

"Mike and Molly" is not awful. Some outstanding characters, especially Katie Mixon.

12. poindexter

poindexter Well-Known Member

Its Always Sunny in Philadelphia my my favorite fx comedy.

Draft saved Draft deleted