1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

2012 Pro Wrestling Thread

Discussion in 'Anything goes' started by Rockbottom, Dec 26, 2011.

1. Baron Scicluna

Baron Scicluna Well-Known Member

And another wild and crazy segment. This first half-hour's been excellent.

For those keeping score:

Punk/Bryan III ends in interference from Otunga, Ace, Teddy, Sheamus and ... Santino.

And then after the match, Punk's near the entrance and Jericho comes back out, slams him on the top of the ramp, then puts him in the Lion Tamer (not the Walls).

Compelling as hell, but there's so much else to watch.

2. Baron Scicluna

Since Daytona's been stopped, the remote's been stuck on Raw. Still an excellent show.

Cena was the next opponent on the "Let's Squash Miz World Tour". John won rather soundly.

Excellent three-way tag match for the tag titles, with Primo and Epico pulling out the win. Then Kane came down, booted Epico, then chokeslammed Primo, Ziggler and Truth.

Eve gave a mediocre promo about how all men want to fuck her, blah, blah. She had a new entrance song that sounded pretty good, and she did look rather hot.

FInal match is Big Show/Sheamus vs. Henry/Rhodes, followed by Rock doing his little talk.

3. Gutter

Gutter Well-Known Member

Eve's had that song for a while now.

4. RickStain

RickStain Well-Known Member

The Rock is boring. I never thought it would come to that :(

5. billikens

billikens Member

Point, Cena.

6. KYSportsWriter

KYSportsWriter Well-Known Member

I kept waiting for Rock to smack Cena, or do something, but nothing. Of all the ways they could've gone with that promo, it came across flat in the end.

7. nietsroob17

nietsroob17 Well-Known Member

Now that Raw's over, maybe that can get Cena on a jet and get him back to Daytona to wave the checkered flag.

8. Baron Scicluna

One issue I've had is that he keeps stopping when the fans start cheering and chanting.

Doing it once or twice is fine, especially if they chant after he says something. But he kept putting the mic to his mouth, the fans would cheer, and then he would stop. Just say your piece already and the crowd will quiet down.

And I thought it was a good promo, but it did seem to miss a little something. And Cena was very good again.

Especially with only a few weeks to go, and who knows how many of those Rock will be at, this one cried out for a little physicality. Even if it was the cheesy "Bring out all the refs and security to break them up." thing. But it also struck me that the Rock of 1999 sure as hell wouldn't have let Cena say his thing without getting Rock-Bottomed. This Rock let Cena walk, whined that he ran off, then ranted a bit.

The

9. schiezainc

schiezainc Well-Known Member

Gotta be honest. If they're building this as "Rock has lost touch with pro wrestling", then they're doing a great job. Cena is skewering him and it, for the first time, is putting Cena on that rarefied level only the greats get to.

The next four weeks should be like this: Next week, Cena comes out and trashes Rock for spending more time worrying about Twitter and trending than saying something worth listening to. The week after, Rock cuts a promo where he gets ready to go off on Cena and just misses terribly, causing the crowd to boo him relentlessly.

The week after, Cena comes and makes fun of Rock again, spouting off how he's gone again, etc. Rock ends the show by coming out, Rock Bottoming him and cutting a killer promo about how he had never taken this personal, it was always business, always a chance to further his career and now he's got his eye on the prize and Cena's going to pay for it.

Final week, the two just square off on each other, end the show with one last massive promo where Rock calls Cena out for failing to carry the WWE while he and other Attitude Era guys were gone. Cena rips Rock for being "hollywood", the two brawl out of the ring and get separated.

It practically writes itself.

10. Tommy_Dreamer

Tommy_Dreamer Well-Known Member

There's no way IMO that these two even touch each other for another couple weeks.

Rock looked shook for sure. He's starting to reach and Cena caught him in the act. Kung Pao Bitch? Really?

Loved Cena calling out the Promo notes bit. Didn't totally get the nice tattoo bit tho. It's building. Rock will come back strong whenever he shows up again.

Also, I'm almost thinking they're gonnado a 3-way HITC now. HHH-Taker-Hbk.

11. A few thoughts:

The Rock is my favorite wrestler of all time but I have to agree with the above that he is pretty boring right now. Last night was some of his worst work. Kung Pao Bitch? I don't even know what that means. That's one of those things that they just test the audience's intelligence to see if they'll just repeat anything he says. It was terribly lame. Amazing, though, how the crowd still just eats out of his hand.

Haven't cared much about Cena one way or the other since I got back into wrestling but he's really starting to win me over. He's been terrific the past two weeks.

Punk-Jericho was terrific, just outstanding. Everything I had hoped it would be when those two square off on the mic.

While she's a total smokeshow, Eve can just go away.

Wonder where they are going with this Kane thing? Does he have a specific target there or are they doing the whole "Kane is just a monster and he's more pissed off than ever" thing?

Nice to see some juice for the tag team division and it was actually a pretty entertaining match. I'd like to see Dolph, Truth and Kofi get big singles pushes but with Mania around the corner, there's not room for them right now. So this will do.

What they've done to the Miz is downright criminal. He's too good for this.

I'd like to see them start actually building a feud with Sheamus and Bryan as opposed to the same thing every week where Sheamus comes down and tosses Bryan back into the ring and leaves.

Looks like Cody Rhodes-Big Show for Mania. No sign of Shaq.

12. Boom_70

Boom_70 Well-Known Member

The Rocks rant last night made watching 5 guys sweep the track at Daytona look interesting.

Draft saved Draft deleted