1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Braun wins appeal

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by Elliotte Friedman, Feb 23, 2012.

1. Gator

Gator Well-Known Member

I think he came off very well in this press conference. At the same time, if he ends next season hitting .275 with 17 homers and 75 RBI, it's going to look real bad. The questions will linger. He needs another MVP-type season.

2. Bernie51

Bernie51 New Member

As denials go, that was about as convincing as it gets.

3. jr/shotglass

jr/shotglass Well-Known Member

I believe that parents have a lot more to do with their children making bad decisions than your local left fielder. And I don't think we help the situation at all but making pro sports the scapegoat for them.

4. Bernie51

Bernie51 New Member

You are right on both points. I'm not giving up my own parental responsibility. And I'm not scapegoating my local left fielder. I'm saying I'd like my kid to compete in a world where PEDs are wrong and where people generally believe that taking them is cheating. I'm saying that, misguided or not, people who rail against cheating in MLB help maintain that attitude.

5. Gehrig

Gehrig Active Member

Here are some facts, folks:

1. Nobody knows if Braun is truly "innocent" or "guilty". Even if you feel it deep, deep, down in your heart.
    2. Drug tests are wrong sometimes, so a positive test does not mean that Braun is necessarily a "cheater".
    3. The fact that it was a "technicality" that got him off instead of something more is not an indicator of his true guilt or innocence.
    3. Exoneration does not make Braun innocent in reality - only lawfully.
    4. It is possible for a Brewer fan to think he is innocent and really believe it without being a fanboy.
    5. It is also possible for a NLC rival fan to really believe he is guilty without having some anti- Brewer agenda.
    6. Unless you have some sort of inside knowledge of a person's thoughts, you are not truly able to know if somebody is biased because of team-loyalty or not.
    7. Steroids do not affect every player the same. You can not look at weight or power trends and make a strong assertion of PED usage. A lack of power spike does not make Braun innocent or guilty of PEDs. There are many pre-PED players that had big power spikes, and many "PED-busted" players that were scrawny and remained that way.
    7. The original results should not have been leaked. However, the said leaking is not relevant to whether or not he is guilty or innocent.
    8. Regardless of what anybody chooses to see about the situation, the notion that there will be negative fall-out for this overturn can be a non-biased argument, and she be considered on its own merit.
    9. Not following due process and/or doing testing without proper constant conditions is a leading cause of allowing guilty people to go free. Individuals who are not able to follow due process and maintain controlled conditions while testing, etc. do need to be fired from their jobs.

6. YGBFKM

YGBFKM Guest

"Dad, why did that ballplayer cheat?"

"Because your mother is a whore."

7. RickStain

RickStain Well-Known Member

Boooooring.

8. jr/shotglass

jr/shotglass Well-Known Member

What does that matter, if it's right?

9. Bubbler

Bubbler Well-Known Member

Tygart went on MLB Radio yesterday shortly after the appeal verdict was announced yesterday. He was an embarrassment. He accused Das of being "starry-eyed" and that it affected his judgment. He said Braun got off because someone used red-ink instead of blue-ink on a report.

No, ignoramus, it's called due process. Perhaps your organization could use a dose of the same.

10. Armchair_QB

Armchair_QB Well-Known Member

[​IMG]

Last edited by a moderator: Dec 15, 2014
  11. Michael_ Gee

Michael_ Gee Well-Known Member

The U.S. and World Anti-Doping Agencies should be run out of business. Sports can and should maintain their own drug testing regimes, even if, like baseball, you know they're bound to screw it up.

12. Double Down

Double Down Well-Known Member

Shotty, I like you a great deal. But you fail to pick up on sarcasm more frequently than any respectable poster on this board.

Draft saved Draft deleted