1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Braun wins appeal

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by Elliotte Friedman, Feb 23, 2012.

1. Bernie51

Bernie51 New Member

I've seen a lot of people making this point. Why do we care if somebody takes PEDs to get ahead in sports? Why do fans get apoplectic about it?

I don't know why fans get upset, but I know why I get upset.

I get upset not as a fan, but as the father of a kid who wants very badly to make his high school baseball team. If we accept the notion that, "Hey, it's a free country. If a guy wants to take this stuff, it's his body," then we start to accept that if you want to play MLB, or pretty much any other sport, you take what you have to take to stay in the game.

It doesn't take long for this attitude to filter down to college and high school sports. And heck, I know Little League dads who'd feed their kids roids if they came in a chewable form. To me, the apoplexy may be misguided, but it serves a very important purpose.

2. IllMil

IllMil Active Member

12:13
    "Why didn't he bring it in? Why was there zero documentation? Why did he wait 44 hours to turn it in?"

12:15
    "If they were motivated, it would be extremely easy," said Braun, recounting discussions he had with doctors and scientists when his team asked how easy it would be to tamper with a sample.

12:15
    He did say he is considering legal action, although he didn't specify against whom.

3. Armchair_QB

Armchair_QB Well-Known Member

Bud and Brewers are going to have to live with that perception as long as he remains commissioner.

As for the test, everything that's been reported indicates he tested positive for a synthetic hormone. That doesn't get into the system naturally. Its presence needs to be explained as much as the level of testosterone does.

And if he didn't take anything then there needs to be an investigation done to find out who tampered with the sample and why.

4. RickStain

RickStain Well-Known Member

Well, yes.

There's no way that Braun should have been convicted if they proved a chain-of-custody problem.

That's not the same as believing he is innocent.

5. Dick Whitman

Dick Whitman Well-Known Member

Agreed.

That's why every ounce of energy I've directed at this story has been about MLB screwing things up.

6. jr/shotglass

jr/shotglass Well-Known Member

I'm sorry, Bernie. I have never, will never buy the "what about the children?" argument in something like this.

If Little League dads are that misguided, they will always find some way to tilt the playing field. It's not on the shoulders of MLB.

7. JC

JC Well-Known Member

PED's have been in high schools for decades.

8. Armchair_QB

Armchair_QB Well-Known Member

And if somebody did tamper with the sample, or the sample isn't his, I hope he winds up owning Major League Baseball.

But right now "overturned on a technicality" does not equal "innocent."

9. RickStain

RickStain Well-Known Member

That's true. Now we just need a good explanation for how synthetic testosterone ended up in his pee, and we can figure out which of the two it is.

10. Bernie51

Bernie51 New Member

What exactly are you not agreeing with?

Are you saying that if we make no judgement on what atheltes use or don't use to compete, that this attitude won't filter down? Or that it doesn't matter if it filters down?

11. Bernie51

Bernie51 New Member

12. outofplace

outofplace Well-Known Member

Wrong again, Cubs fanboy. The sample, which was mishandled, tested positive. That doesn't mean he tested positive. That is a misrepresentation of the facts by you.

The test didn't just come back with a high testosterone level, it came back with a level three times as high as any sample on record. Yet another reason to doubt.

Bottom line: You want to believe he is guilty. Even if they did find a videotape of somebody switching the samples, you'd still be arguing that he is guilty.

As far as I'm concerned, the burden should be on MLB to prove Braun is guilty, not on Braun to prove he is innocent. It is unfair and ridiculous to say he has to win a lawsuit proving the tampering to be innocent.

Draft saved Draft deleted