1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Going from Sports to News? Is there any risk involved?

Discussion in 'Journalism topics only' started by RW21, Feb 22, 2012.

1. Tarheel316

Tarheel316 Well-Known Member

I've gone over to news twice. I think it helped me.

2. jr/shotglass

jr/shotglass Well-Known Member

Out of college, the only acceptable job I was offered was on the news desk of a 100,000 daily. I am about the last person who would normally chase this. I read the sports page much more regularly than A-1. But I took the job to keep advancing.

After a year and picking up some layout/design experience -- and spending my entire lunch hour each night hanging out in the sports department -- I was moved into sports. And I've stayed there since.

News-side may not thrill. It may. And it will pay the bills. Sports will be there down the line.

3. Dr. Ted Nelson

Dr. Ted Nelson New Member

RW21:
    I asked a somewhat similar question this past summer when I was pondering a switch to news after 13 years in sports. I got some great responses, which may help you in addition to the good feedback you've already received here.
    I will add that I have made said switch and do not regret it, not even a little bit.
    Here's that thread:

http://www.sportsjournalists.com/forum/threads/84591/

4. Stitch

Stitch Active Member

Getting a social life back is great, plus you get free pizza on Election Night.

5. jr/shotglass

Oh, if you don't get free pizza on Election Night in sports, you aren't trying.

6. DanOregon

DanOregon Well-Known Member

Good writers are good writers. Sports helped me learn to write quickly on deadline, fantastic training for news. The lack of a scoreboard may make figuring out "winners" and "losers" a little tougher to figure out, but give it time, acquaint yourself with the players (especially city staff who are typically better versed on the issues than elected officials) and you'll do fine.
    Maybe start out with a "beat sweetener" - a profile of someone in a position to be a great resource (Politico does this all the time) to help you get settled in.

7. Ace

Ace Well-Known Member

I've never heard one person complain that a sports writer knew his way around city hall and the courts too well.

Never heard anyone complain that a news writer was too fast on deadline because of his/her sports background.

8. Drip

Drip Active Member

And you never will.

9. BillyT

BillyT Active Member

Everyone else has said everything I would have.

You learn some great skills, and I guarantee knowing how school boards and police stations work will help in sports.

One piece of advice: Don't for a minute whine about the council meetings. Work them hard, talk to people. You oughta come out of those meetings with a couple of stories to follow up, sometimes you will pick up good features.

10. Justin Biebler

Justin Biebler Active Member

As everyone here has said, total upside. We have a big fire going on in our downtown today. When we have big breaking news like that, it makes me wish I was news instead of sports.

11. I Should Coco

I Should Coco Well-Known Member

Two great posts right here.

It took me a while to realize that council meetings were a chance to get good story ideas, rather than simply a chance to file 25-inch meeting "gamers."

12. jr/shotglass

Well, I won't go that far. :)

Draft saved Draft deleted