1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Mobile Press-Register Alabama beat reporter

Discussion in 'Journalism Jobs' started by Randy Kennedy, Feb 15, 2012.

1. Randy Kennedy

Randy Kennedy New Member

The Mobile Press-Register has an immediate opening to join a two-person beat team that covers University of Alabama sports. The successful candidate will officially work for the Press-Register, but will team with fellow beat writer Don Kausler, Jr. to provide coverage for the Press-Register, The Birmingham News, the Huntsville Times and our combined al.com website. Football is the primary focus for both members of our coverage team, but we also cover all aspects of the athletic program. The demanding position requires someone who has a passion for providing outstanding coverage not only in print but also through our website and through social media. Applicants should email or mail clips and a resume to Sports Editor Randy Kennedy at rkennedy@press-register.com or 401 N. Water St., Mobile, AL, 36602.

2. Drip

Drip Active Member

Wow. Great Gig.

3. Is this the gig Izzy Gould is leaving for the Dolphins beat?

4. Matt Stephens

Matt Stephens Well-Known Member

5. Bamadog

Bamadog Well-Known Member

Outstanding gig. If I was 20-something and single, I'd be all over this like a hobo on a ham sandwich.

6. young-gun11

young-gun11 Member

I'm not sure a 20-something person is the right fit to handle Nick Saban. I'm not sure whether Saban would scoff or toy with them.

I'm, 20-something, and I'd be scared for my life.

That being said, it would make any future coach/job seem like eating pancakes and sausage on Saturday morning.

7. BrianGriffin

BrianGriffin Active Member

Wow. Nice opening in the SEC. The Al.com website is pretty much a state-wide news source so your audience there is huge. A 20-something should not even have a shot at this unless he's an F-in stud.

8. young-gun11

young-gun11 Member

I recommended Jon Solomon, but he declined. I think this job is a premier college football job. Your stuff is distributed (like Brian said) statewide. There are two people on the beat for the most widely-read news website in the state. You'll be recognized (and chastised) on the street by crazy rednecks.

The successful candidate must have thick skin, we're brutal down here.

9. I'm VERY biased here, but Randy is the best around. He's the best boss I ever had for sure, and he showed me how to do things the right way when I was a baby in this business.
    Any writer who has a chance at this job would be crazy to not go after it.

10. novelist_wannabe

novelist_wannabe Well-Known Member

Let me echo Daniel's post. Randy is indeed a quality person and a solid leader.

11. Hambone

Hambone Member

Scared to cover a coach?

12. Johnny Dangerously

Johnny Dangerously Well-Known Member

He should be. Once, after I questioned him in a column, Nick comes over after practice and says "Ah, I hear you've been a naughty boy, Doug," and he splits me nostrils open and saws me leg off and pulls me liver out. Well, I tell him my name's not Doug, and he loses his temper and nails my head to the floor.

Draft saved Draft deleted