1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Josh Hamilton relapses

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by KYSportsWriter, Feb 2, 2012.

1. SnoopyBoy

SnoopyBoy Member

Re: Josh Hamilton allegedly relapses

Hamilton hit .324 in night games last year, and .220 in day games. Just sayin'

2. Gehrig

Gehrig Active Member

It's because he has blue eyes. /blue font

3. jr/shotglass

jr/shotglass Well-Known Member

This saddens me, and I hope he gets on top of it.

But I've got to agree with those who say this is most definitely a story. It's a major factor in the career of one of baseball's top players. The media cannot look the other way on this.

4. Dick Whitman

Dick Whitman Well-Known Member

Correct. No one wants to report on this story, for sure. But you have to. Because it's getting out, one way or the other, as recognizable as Hamilton is.

Remember: You are, ultimately, covering a business. A business that the public pours money into. And the business is thinking about investing a lot of money into this employee.

Maybe I'm naive, but I was actually relieved when I opened the thread and saw that the relapse was alcohol and not drugs. Not that the bottle hasn't brought many a man down, too.

5. Stitch

Stitch Active Member

How many accountability partners are hired by one's employer? Once it gets to the stage when your employer needs to hire someone, it's not about Christianity and addiction recovery, but baby sitting.

I'm also guessing Hamilton's father-in-law not taking the job was not just about leaving home for the season.

6. Herbert Anchovy

Herbert Anchovy Active Member

http://www.mrdestructo.com/2012/02/jeff-passan-cares-about-judgment-and.html

7. Mizzougrad96

Mizzougrad96 Active Member

I'm definitely rooting for the guy to succeed. He's been through a lot, some of it his fault, some of it not...

8. txsportsscribe

txsportsscribe Active Member

if you can't see why this is a legitimate news story then i really question your ability to know what is a news story

9. YankeeFan

YankeeFan Well-Known Member

It's a news story.

It also should not be unexpected. The guy's an addict. It's the off season, and his life is not as structured as it is during the season.

If this is really the first time he's had a drink in three years, I wouldn't worry too much about a long term contract.

I believe Hamilton is committed to sobriety, and will be ok. And, I'll continue to root for him.

10. rmanfredi

rmanfredi Active Member

I know people who were sober for 10-20 years - avoided putting themselves in bad situations, drank their ginger ale at parties - and then one day decided to "have a couple of beers for old time's sake." Fortunately in both cases I knew, they immediately realized they made a mistake and took steps to figure out why they did. One mistake doesn't necessarily mean that he's on some bender. (Of course, it could - we just don't know, and the fact that he called Kinsler over to hang out either means a) it was a big slip-up or b) he wanted someone to "catch him" and tell him to stop.)

All that being said, he's a public figure who has very publicly discussed his addiction and recovery (and made it a major part of his public persona). You 100 percent cover it.

11. Inky_Wretch

Inky_Wretch Well-Known Member

Sorry, I worded that poorly. I was wondering if somebody at Sherlock's knew Kinsler and called him about Hamilton being there. But as somebody posted, Hamilton apparently called Kinsler to come down and have a drink with him.

12. Dick Whitman

Dick Whitman Well-Known Member

He talked about it.

http://espn.go.com/dallas/mlb/story/_/id/7537732/texas-rangers-outfielder-josh-hamilton-relapse-alcohol

Said that he's already passed drug tests since the incident.

Also said that he drank in reaction to a personal matter with a family member. That is kind of what my first thought was, something like a fight with his wife or a family health issue.

Draft saved Draft deleted