1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Browns beat writer booted over tweet

Discussion in 'Journalism topics only' started by TheSportsPredictor, Jan 25, 2012.

1. jr/shotglass

jr/shotglass Well-Known Member

Dude. Grave-dancing is what we do.

In fact, as grave-dancing goes, this is very, very tame.

Fact is this. If there wasn't a way to tweet professionally for a journalist, then we'd be having instances of this every 90 minutes. He didn't tweet professionally. There was a better way to handle it.

2. nmmetsfan

nmmetsfan Active Member

It's one thing to think something. When you say something out loud, it is no longer just your thought. When you write something, it's permanent. When you put it in a text, or online in any way, it's indestructible.

3. Flying Headbutt

Flying Headbutt Moderator Staff Member

I thought all the best beat writers brought some good analysis to their coverage, which helped set their work apart from boring ass gamers that regurgitate play by play?

Sure, there's middle ground there, but Grossi has been on the beat for a long, long time. I'm going to guess he knows the Browns and their history and how it relates to today a whole hell of a lot better than anyone who actually works for the organization. He fucked up, yeah. But he still brings a whole lot more to that beat than anyone else does right now. Not to say he's irreplaceable, but it's still disappointing that the paper is going to bounce him off the beat when no one else did it better. Awareness of history and knowledge just got thrown out, when all he was doing was offering analysis of an aspect of the team that has long drawn criticism.

4. dooley_womack1

dooley_womack1 Well-Known Member

What's the difference? What are you, 5? What's the difference between the joke hedlines that get batted around on the copy desk and the one that makes it in print or on the Web page? And again, I could give a good goddamn what a reporter thinks. I care what he reports, and that is what he will be judged on in the marketplace of ideas.

And FH, "pathetic" sure in the hell don't say expert to me

5. Flying Headbutt

Flying Headbutt Moderator Staff Member

If you want to use one instance, one mistake, to define his career, go ahead. But as baseball stat geeks say, small sample size.

6. JoelHammond

JoelHammond Member

A little advancement here -- yes, my work -- with comments from Grossi's Guild rep in Cleveland.

http://www.crainscleveland.com/article/20120126/FREE/120129878

7. dooley_womack1

dooley_womack1 Well-Known Member

It doesn't define a career; I dunno Grossi from a hole in the ground, so I can't say. But it sure should get you off the beat.

8. BB Bobcat

BB Bobcat Active Member

Everyone seems to be talking about how Grossi's comment would matter to readers regarding his objectivity.

I think it's also fair for an employer to question how his comments will affect his relationship with his sources. If you don't get along with your sources, you aren't going to be much good as a reporter.

As an aside, I almost sent a DM to someone the other day (before reading this thread), but I stopped for just this reason. Never know when you'll hit a wrong button.

9. TheSportsPredictor

TheSportsPredictor Well-Known Member

I think Browns fans and PD management should be far more concerned with the most recent tweet still showing on Grossi's account. Lerner had given an interview on the biggest radio station in Cleveland earlier that day. He rarely grants interviews, so this was a big deal. Someone asked Grossi if he had listened to it:

"@gobuckeyes216: Isn't your job to listen to interviews pertaining to the browns?"//No its not.

"@rootstownbrowns: #Browns owner Randy Lerner was interviewd hrs. ago. Why lack of tweets from Cleve. media"//didnt hear it. What he say?

It looked even worse a couple days later when Terry Pluto wrote a column about what Lerner said in the interview.

Now, while it might not be his job to run to the TV or radio anytime a Browns official speaks, I certainly believe it's his job to at the very least find out the substance of the interview later. These tweets were sent out close to midnight, followed by the Lerner tweet.

10. Illino

Illino Member

Typically, when he answers stuff on Twitter, there is always one or two jerk answers from Grossi, and I've always disagreed with the way he always re-tweets people calling him an idiot or saying he shouldn't be allowed to cover football anymore. To me, he always came off as arrogant on Twitter.

11. Versatile

Versatile Active Member

The Web client makes it pretty clear what you're sending. Just don't do it from a phone.

12. lcjjdnh

lcjjdnh Well-Known Member

As I said earlier in the thread, if you accept the sources argument you must also accept the validity of criticisms from media critics that access stands as a barrier to reporting the truth. You may balance that and decide you're OK with it--and may decide it's better for readers because they get more, but not necessarily better, information--but it proves why we need people like Deadspin*, Bill Simmons and bloggers to add critical coverage of players and coaches.

* Setting completely aside the TMZ-fication of sports

Draft saved Draft deleted