1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

2012 Academy Awards thread

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by Dick Whitman, Jan 24, 2012.

1. Dick Whitman

Dick Whitman Well-Known Member

Instead of being snarky, maybe explain to me why it's OK in a novel and not OK in a film? It's one thing to say that Daldry didn't pull it off. But the tenor here seems to be that the premise itself was inappropriate.

2. Frylock

Frylock Member

Those of you who haven't seen Hugo, go see it. Fantastic film.
    I am disappointed Michael Shannon (Take Shelter) and Ryan Gosling (Drive) weren't nominated, particularly Gosling.

3. Dick Whitman

I'm disappointed that the girl in "The Descendants" (and her bikini) was not nominated. Thought she was a shoo-in for supporting.

4. mediaguy

mediaguy Well-Known Member

It's been said, but hard to really take Melissa McCarthy's nomination with a straight face. "Octavia, really enjoyed your work, but that diarrhea scene was hilarious!"

5. Dick Whitman

Well .....

SPOILER ALERT

Didn't Octavia get her nod partially for serving her own shit to someone, baked in a pie?

The scene McCarthy wins it for is at Wiig's apartment when she talks about how she used to be a social outcast, etc., etc., and finally decided to live her life. That carried the role beyond comedy.

Though I'm not looking forward to another Precious-fest about how "beautiful" she is.

6. Pilot

Pilot Well-Known Member

War Horse is far more deserving of best director than it is best picture. Best cinematography and any other scenic kind of categories, I'm all for it. But it has no business — none — being nominated for any award that relates even slightly to the idea that a coherent plot exists.

It's a nice, pretty collection of pictures, but the only reason anyone thinks it should be "best picture" is because they haven't seen it and think from the previews that it's Saving Private Ryan: The Prequel.

7. Ben_Hecht

Ben_Hecht Active Member

On balance, that was a good year, but I'll continue to carry the banner for the minority report on Gump, which I continue to maintain is overrated, by many miles.

8. Dick Whitman

I don't understand the backlash that seems to have developed against "Forrest Gump" in the years since. It felt like an instant classic at the time, and it still is a film that has kind of infiltrated itself into our collective pop culture. I thought it was a great journey through a turbulent period of American history, with a remarkably memorable tour guide.

9. YankeeFan

YankeeFan Well-Known Member

Why is Bejo nominated for Best Supporting Actress? She was the female lead.

Does the studio submit her for the lesser categorie hoping she'll have a better chance at winning?

10. Dick Whitman

Well, wasn't Dujardin the lead and she supported him? I don't think there necessarily has to be a male and a female lead in each movie. Just to throw out a recent movie, wouldn't you say that in "(500) Days of Summer," JGL was the lead and Zooey Dechanel was the supporting actress, even though she was the top dog female in the movie and the second half of the relationship?

11. NDub

NDub Guest

I had to Google her as soon as I got back to the apartment after seeing the movie. She's 20, so it's all good. She got a nod at the Globes, though.

12. NDub

NDub Guest

How dare you!

That's 35 minutes of the movie's score. There are some photos used in the user's slideshow that are NSFW. They're promo shots of Mara as Salander, and there is that shot of her with her pierced nipples out and Craig's arm around her.

Draft saved Draft deleted