1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Jim Rome To Join CBS

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by BNWriter, Jan 24, 2012.

1. BNWriter

BNWriter Active Member

http://www.broadcastingcable.com/article/478955-Jim_Rome_Heads_to_CBS.php

For those of us who don't care for Jim Rome, here is some distressing news: He is leaving ESPN and joining CBS Sports. He will contribute to football programming, it sounds like from this article (Great....just when I was beginning to watch pre-game hours again on a limited basis, CBS does this, so I will go back to avoiding pre-games again!!!).

He will be on another of their smaller nets, but will contribute to other events as well. Hope this is not a d-b, but I looked him up and found old posts that did not mention this.

OK...I have had my say. Have at....

2. LongTimeListener

LongTimeListener Well-Known Member

This is great news for someone like me who watches Fox and the NFL Network for pregame and doesn't ever turn to any of CBS' cable channels. He is entirely contained outside my universe. I'll only be pissed if there's synergy with corporate sister Showtime and he ends up with a guest spot on "Homeland."

3. Jack_Kerouac

Jack_Kerouac Member

Reported two weeks ago.

http://content.usatoday.com/communities/gameon/post/2012/01/jim-rome-move-to-cbs-is-official/1

4. jr/shotglass

jr/shotglass Well-Known Member

I miss Jim Everett.

[​IMG]

5. LongTimeListener

LongTimeListener Well-Known Member

^^^^^^^^^ That never gets old. Not ever. God, that was great.

6. jr/shotglass

jr/shotglass Well-Known Member

Great moment in sports talk.

7. TigerVols

TigerVols Well-Known Member

I've worked with Jim a few times and always found him to be very, very intelligent, and very, very private. His operation -- one of the most successful in modern sports media -- is tiny. He's definitely the most remote and independent of all ESPN operations. I can only assume CBS will be even more hands-off.

Rack me.

8. Bubbler

Bubbler Well-Known Member

I wonder if the Elf screenwriters were inspired by that Everett-Rome moment when writing the scene were Miles Finch beats up Will Ferrell and says, "call me an elf one more time!"

9. bigpern23

bigpern23 Well-Known Member

Unfortunately, it had Rome's desired effect and made him a household name.

10. BitterYoungMatador2

BitterYoungMatador2 Well-Known Member

I have the Shales/Miller ESPN book on my nightstand and read it before bed almost nightly. I'm getting to the part where John Walsh and Lack were arguing about hiring Rome and my first thought was "Holy fuck! I forgot that guy existed!" Amazing what four years of having Sirius does to you.

11. NickMordo

NickMordo Active Member

Hel-lo, CBS view-ers. What, is up? I'm, Jim Rome and, you are in, the jungle.

12. Lugnuts

Lugnuts Well-Known Member

Not bad, Mordo. Not bad a'tall.

Draft saved Draft deleted