1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

OUTING 2011 -- UPDATED WITH A WINNER

Discussion in 'Anything goes' started by Moderator1, Apr 3, 2011.

1. wicked

wicked Well-Known Member

So ... not trying to be a dick, but is anyone showing up this weekend?

2. YankeeFan

YankeeFan Well-Known Member

I'll be here.

But, honestly, no I don't think so.

3. Hank_Scorpio

Hank_Scorpio Active Member

So anyone make it to this?

4. CentralIllinoisan

CentralIllinoisan Active Member

I didn't. But I will be heading to Chicago for the Bears-Bills preseason game on Aug. 13.

Anyone else heading over?

5. CradleRobber

CradleRobber Active Member

I can't find a 2012 outing thread. Will there be an attempt to organize an official outing this summer?

6. Mystery Meat II

Mystery Meat II Well-Known Member

I doubt it. I think the Official SportsJournalists.com Outing (TM) era is over.

7. Sxysprtswrtr

Sxysprtswrtr Active Member

Awww. If it is, that's truly a shame. ;(

8. HC

HC Well-Known Member

Small regional ones are fun. I know I had a great time in Buffalo this summer!

9. imjustagirl

imjustagirl Active Member

Moddy knows I'm down to host for as long as I live in Atlanta. Beyond that, ain't much I can do.

10. wicked

wicked Well-Known Member

I don't think that's necessarily true. There were a number of factors that conspired to sink 2011, including the timing (HC/JR already had planned the Buffalo get-together). Same happened in 2007, and we had Seattle, Baltimore and Cleveland follow up, which all were great events.

11. imjustagirl

imjustagirl Active Member

Right, but Moddy's never had to beg people to host before, like he has the past two years. I just think if it happens, it's more likely to be a Buffalo-type thing than one of the big official deals.

12. Mystery Meat II

Mystery Meat II Well-Known Member

Plus while Cleveland was fun, it was an awful lot smaller than Seattle two years prior. Ditto Baltimore, at least what I heard of it. Enthusiasm for the big board get-together has waned in since 2008.

2007 had some chatter around it and then the host had to bow out. 2011 had very little chatter. It was like "oh, yeah, this was going to be outing weekend, right?"

Bad economy, lots of unemployed/underemployed posters, fewer active posters and general malaise makes me think it'll be a while, if ever, before we see an honest to goodness Outing.

Draft saved Draft deleted