1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Last movie you watched......

Discussion in 'Anything goes' started by Jenny Jobs, Dec 29, 2008.

1. outofplace

outofplace Well-Known Member

Finding Nemo was the first movie my daughter ever watched. And watched. And watched. And watched. And watched. (Gotta love how kids can watch the same thing a thousand times).

Still, it holds some sentimental value for me, but I would have liked it anyway.

2. Wenders

Wenders Well-Known Member

Technically, Finding Nemo is Pixar, not Disney. In my eyes, very different entities, even if they're owned by the same company now.

and OOP, my cousin's kids watched the Shrek movies over. And over. And over. My cousin never got to see them properly until about the thousandth watching. Thought we were going to have to pick her up off the floor because she was laughing so hard.

3. dreunc1542

dreunc1542 Active Member

Finding Nemo is a good movie no matter what gender or age you are, just like most Pixar films.

4. baskethead

baskethead Member

The new Sherlock Holmes last night. Downey is one of the more entertaining actors working lately, and I actually liked it better than I thought I would, because I didn't like the first one all that much. The back and forth between Holmes and Moriarty is good. Pretty much a modern action movie set 115 years ago.

5. 93Devil

93Devil Well-Known Member

My kid has seen all of these a million times....

Nemo is a great movie. But my only gripe is why do they have to have a character die in the first few minutes? Being sad sucks, and I know it is teaching life lessons to kids, but I hate knowing there will be a downer the first part of the movie. But I am sure we will go see Nemo in 3D.

I have not seen all of them, but the climactic scenes in The Incredibles and Ratatouille I think were stronger than the final scenes of Nemo. The Incredibles was good just for the action of the films from start to finish, and the reaction of the food critic when he tasted the ratatouille just blew me away. That is one of my favorite movie moments.

So if you have to watch something from Disney/Pixar, those would be my choices. And if you are really into film making, watch Mary Poppins and Sleeping Beauty. They might seem dated, but seeing what Disney was doing with the technology available, to me, is pretty darn cool.

6. dreunc1542

dreunc1542 Active Member

I think the best Pixar movie, by far, is Wall-E. My two favorites after that are Ratatouille and Up. However, if you don't like sad beginnings to movies, then I would recommend not watching Up, 93D. Within the first 15 minutes is one of the saddest scenes I can remember in quite some time. It's handled incredibly well, but yeah, not a happy way to begin the movie.

7. Dick Whitman

Dick Whitman Well-Known Member

Better than "Toy Story"?

8. dreunc1542

dreunc1542 Active Member

I enjoy the Toy Story films, but I don't love them the way a lot of people do.

9. Dick Whitman

Dick Whitman Well-Known Member

It gets some credit, at least to me, for being groundbreaking.

I'm also someone who is quite sentimental about childhood toys and other attachments. Hell, even when I was 8 years old I'd feel awful if I realized I had moved on from a toy. Time has always moved a little fast for me, and those movies capture that.

10. 93Devil

I have seen Up, and those first 15-30 minutes are beautiful. Damn movie just really seemed to drop off after that, but I guess it had established such an amazing level to start with that it was almost impossible to keep it up.

Looking back, Up had to have that background to the old man. I guess Nemo did as well to establish why there was no mother and why you don't leave the protection of home (or why the dad was so hypersensitive to it).

I liked Wall-E, but to me it just fell a little short of The Incredibles and Ratatouille. I could easily see it being a top movie for many people.

The Incredibles just never lets up. There is not a down moment in the entire movie.

We are also leaving out The Lion King, which I have not seen in a long time, and I will probably introduce to my daughter once she hits school age.

11. 93Devil

Toy Story is darn good. My gripe with the third one was it got a little to scary (the incinerator).

12. Ben_Hecht

Ben_Hecht Active Member

The greatest -- not to mention, most consistent -- trilogy, ever. Can't say enough good things about it.

Draft saved Draft deleted