1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

NYT reportedly sells off regional partners

Discussion in 'Journalism topics only' started by Raiders, Dec 19, 2011.

1. alanpagerules

alanpagerules Member

Word out of the Tuscaloosa News is that everyone has been retained for now, but each paper will be individually evaluated after the sale goes through on Jan. 6.

The date is a little problematic for those covering the national championship in New Orleans because that's also when all of their corporate credit cards will stop working.

2. Tarheel316

Tarheel316 Well-Known Member

alan, that's some pretty specific information. Where are you getting it?

3. Lollygaggers

Lollygaggers Member

Bump . . .

Wondering if there is a follow-up to what Alan said about papers being evaluated again after the sale goes through. Has anyone else heard that? I haven't seen any info like that from friends who have been affected.

4. Stitch

Stitch Active Member

The bad news will come after the sale is finalized. I'm guessing here, but a business doesn't make drastic changes until sale is official.

5. LanceyHoward

LanceyHoward Well-Known Member

Halifax paid 165M or so for the papers. I don't think Halifax has been around long enough or has many other successful business that allow them to pay cash. So I think they borrowed the money. And I would bet my house and my care that Halifax promised the banks they would cut costs.

Of course my house has negative equity and my car is 15 years old so my willingness to wager is more reflective of the value of my assets than my expertise.

6. beanpole

beanpole Member

Halifax is owned by Stephens Capital, which has assets of $440M and more than $100M in equity, so they were able to put down a decent down payment if they chose. I don't think they're leveraged nearly as badly as Tribune was or as CNHI currently is.

Regarding layoffs, everyone should be safe until early April. The NYT's SEC filing says that Halifax agreed not to make staffing reductions until 90 days after the sale closes. After that, look out.

7. Tommy_Dreamer

Tommy_Dreamer Well-Known Member

I just love all this speculation. :D

8. Raiders

Raiders Guest

You dream about it, don't you ...

9. Tommy_Dreamer

Tommy_Dreamer Well-Known Member

How'd you know?

10. deskslave

deskslave Active Member

Sarasota avoided any job cuts, but employees are required to sign the ridiculous noncompete. Additionally, they lost up to seven days of vacation time and five sick days, though there were no pay cuts.

11. Baron Scicluna

Baron Scicluna Well-Known Member

What ridiculous non-compete?

12. deskslave

deskslave Active Member

The one that says that you can't work for any media entity that competes in any way with any entity owned by Halifax for two years after leaving a Halifax paper.

My guess is that it would probably apply to most newspapers in Florida at this point. It's probably also unenforceable, but good luck finding a company that would take the risk. And Halifax's predecessor company, so to speak, did make a legal challenge at least once (though it was over ad reps, not news folks).

Draft saved Draft deleted