1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Drinks with Birdscribe

Discussion in 'Anything goes' started by daveevansedge, Dec 31, 2011.

1. Birdscribe

Birdscribe Active Member

Let's hope for the latter. ;)

Even though DEE texted me about this thread, this is the first chance I've had to see it, since I just got back from Vegas about 90 minutes ago. Seriously, thank you all for the kind words -- even if I didn't hear from anyone other than DEE, who is a great, great guy and nice drinking mate.

He even listened to the golf stories, something that should earn him eternal kudos here in the sandbox. And he obviously didn't get the memo that you don't get me talking about soccer -- especially youth soccer -- without fastening the seat belts.

But BYH, Mile, IJAG, RPM, SamMills, and yes, you too Moddy, thank you for the wonderful testimonials on my usefulness.

And, gratuitous plug for any of you heading to Vegas. The Pinball Hall of Fame and Museum. It's on Tropicana between Maryland Parkway and Spencer.

Run, don't walk. You'll thank me later.

2. dooley_womack1

dooley_womack1 Well-Known Member

So Bird, do you play the Jeopardy slot machines?

3. KJIM

KJIM Well-Known Member

In these parts, it's a completely believable excuse.

All six of them came in wearing what appeared to be PJs, though. Not sure what kind of bar attire that is.

4. Quiet Man

Quiet Man Active Member

I'll second this. Been a fan of this place going back to its previous location, which was a lot further east of the strip. I rather enjoy playing the older, pre-electronic machines.

5. trifectarich

trifectarich Well-Known Member

I'll get together to have a drink with anyone as long as soccer isn't part of the discussion.

6. Birdscribe

Birdscribe Active Member

trifecta, I can talk about anything. I'm a conversation whore. Soccer just happened to be on the TV above us in the bar.

And Dools, I don't play slot machines. I can say I did indulge once on the Jeopardy slot out of fascination, but nothing amazing to report, alas.

7. Lieslntx

Lieslntx Active Member

Bird!

Nice to see you! I didn't know much about you prior to this thread. But trust me when I say I toasted you several times on NYE.

Good times.

8. Birdscribe

Birdscribe Active Member

Thanks, Lies! I appreciate the sentiments. As you can see, I'm harmless and play well with (most) others here in the sandbox.

I had heard about this thread from DEE, who texted me updates about it, so I was curious to see where it went.

9. Football_Bat

Football_Bat Well-Known Member

Four hours late on a three-hour tour?

A three-hour tour?

10. dooley_womack1

dooley_womack1 Well-Known Member

Well, you've won on Jeopardy, so I figured you were smart enough not to play slots. Blackjack?

11. daveevansedge

daveevansedge Member

After we got done at the bar, I had to call it a night. I can vouch that Bird avoided slots, though he might have wished he'd gone that route -- the craps table worked some wicked evil in a very short amount of time! Glad you're home safe, Bird. And do I get honors of starting the No. 1 New Year's Eve/New Year's Day Thread from the SportsJournalists.com brother/sisterhood?

12. poindexter

poindexter Well-Known Member

Birdscribe is the only SportsJournalists.com person I've ever met live. Very nice guy.

Draft saved Draft deleted