1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Running 2011-12 College Basketball thread

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by Blitz, Nov 7, 2011.

1. Chef2

Chef2 Well-Known Member

Bloomington will burn to the ground if they shit the bed and not get in the dance.

2. Flying Headbutt

Flying Headbutt Moderator Staff Member

Mark Turgeon has the Terps as a sneaky threat right now. Their new center, a 7-1 Ukrainian kid, is something fun to watch. Real, real athletic for a kid who is that tall. And has touch. Too bad the team can't play defense. The gamblers here would be wise to take the over in damn near every game they play, so it seems.

3. Big Circus

Big Circus Well-Known Member

No one I know will listen, but I've been pumping up the Terps all year. Len and Howard make them a much better team.

4. Flying Headbutt

Don't think the ACC's leading scorer hasn't noticed, either.

5. Dick Whitman

Dick Whitman Well-Known Member

I'm with the crowd that you have to show it in conference play before I buy in. Especially after the last few seasons.

6. Big Circus

Big Circus Well-Known Member

I think he'll be even better, although he won't score as much. Now he won't have to do everything.

(By the way, typing my original post was the first time I made the Len-Maryland connection. Freaky.)

7. OnTheRiver

OnTheRiver Active Member

I can go along with that.

8. Flying Headbutt

Last two games, Stoglin has gone off. Now that he has space he's popping three pointers like movie theaters pop popcorn. And when teams do guard him tight, he's fast enough to drive past people. He still forces shots, too, but not as often.

9. Starman

Starman Well-Known Member

UK counts too, beating the No. 1 and 4 teams in the nation indicates you must have something on the ball.

10. dixiehack

dixiehack Well-Known Member

Starman praising a team unconditionally? Those Mayans knew their shit.

11. rmanfredi

rmanfredi Active Member

Louisiana-Lafayette had to set up a play with 21 seconds left in OT while tied with Western Kentucky. They came up with a novel strategy: put in six players. Amazingly, Western Kentucky and the officials didn't notice. ULL scores with three seconds left to win 72-70.

http://sports.yahoo.com/blogs/the-dagger-college-basketball-blog/louisiana-lafayette-uses-six-players-game-winning-possession-082026700.html;_ylt=ApNHGj6wrFYTLWTicnaLCOXevbYF

If you think that's the sort of thing that should get a coach fired, you're right. Ken McDonald is out - although I suspect going 5-11 this season helped grease the wheels. They named assistant Ray Harper as interim head coach. Should Harper have been counting how many players the other team has on the court as well?

http://www.bgdailynews.com/sports/wku-fires-ken-mcdonald/article_c5d3d7fc-387b-11e1-b662-001871e3ce6c.html

12. trifectarich

trifectarich Well-Known Member

There's an NCAA Regional in Pittsburgh this year, but the Panthers seem to be headed for the NIT. Their résumé so far is a lot of bad losses and no good wins.

Draft saved Draft deleted