1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Good Story Ideas

Discussion in 'Journalism topics only' started by Turfwriter86, Jan 28, 2011.

1. YankeeFan

YankeeFan Well-Known Member

Here's one for DoubleJ, or anyone else...

The Tribune has a slide show up today of people who dies in 2011. I had never heard of Barry Feinstein, but reading the Tribune blurb led me to his Times obit.

Like Halberstam's the Teammates, with a young Bob Dylan.

2. Moondoggy

Moondoggy Member

There is great potential in looking off the traditional beaten path for stories, places like rodeos, bike races, local running races, adult rec leagues, and so on. I say this for two reasons: The "established" guys often don't want to fool with those events because they get in the way of the big stuff, since these events are often under-reported there is a better chance of finding subjects willing to open up and tell their story.

One tip: Do a fair amount of reporting in advance of the event. Talk to the organizers a week or two before the event (if possible). They know the inside stories on a lot of these folks and will help you with contact info, etc. Get the guts of the story done BEFORE the event if possible, so you're not trying to interview some sweaty person in a hurry to get home. That also gives you time to talk with other people around your subject, so your anecdotes will be stronger.

Draft saved Draft deleted