1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

MLB.com internships for 2012

Discussion in 'Journalism Jobs' started by Bill Hill, Sep 7, 2011.

1. jclary33

jclary33 New Member

I'll definitely be applying for this. I have covered mostly football in my time as a sports journalist, but I definitely want to branch out before I get out of school.

2. HookEm2014

HookEm2014 Member

I have a quick question about clips for this, for anyone that could help. I have covered multiple beats so far, so should my clips reflect the experience from each beat, or should I take all of the clips from just or two beats? Should I include more features or game stories, and previews? Lastly, should my features be from my beat, or can they be on any sport I have covered? Thanks for any answers you could provide.

3. Versatile

Versatile Active Member

You've got five to 10 clips you can provide. Pick five to 10 pieces of writing that you think represent you best, but definitely include at least one gamer because it's a baseball internship and you'll be writing a lot of gamers. In no way should you feel you need to limit it to your most recent work. At the same time, if you're in college, your most recent work should theoretically be your best.

4. jacyszyna1

jacyszyna1 New Member

I applied. I don't think I stand much of a chance, because it seems that they only accept people from big schools. But, no harm in trying.

5. Brady Hoke

Brady Hoke New Member

I applied too. But I go to a big school so I guess I'm set (haha jk)!

Are there any similar internships I should apply for as a backup? I'm having trouble finding other solid sports writing internships.

6. Versatile

Versatile Active Member

Most of the biggest newspapers in the country still have paying summer sports internships. If you're part of a journalism school, just go to an adviser. They should have information.

7. NickMordo

NickMordo Active Member

There are tons of them, just look online hard enough... more on your resume the better. Or you could just be Hoke's right-hand food man if the journalism thing doesn't work out.

8. doodah

doodah Guest

Yo I applyed. This ish looked super dope, ain't even gonna lie. Anybody hear back yet? How many applyed? I'm wonderin what my odds is lol.

9. Moderator1

Moderator1 Moderator Staff Member

Applyed?

Probably not good

10. GlenQuagmire

GlenQuagmire Active Member

Ain't gonna lie, yo. Your use of jargon is more in line with ESPN and super dope. Even though you applyed, your odds of getting this internship is likely ish.

11. JordanGarretson

JordanGarretson New Member

If you haven't heard back on this one yet, you're probably not a finalist. Congrats to all those who made the first cut.

12. doodah

doodah Guest

and how do u figure?

Draft saved Draft deleted