1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

WHOA! .... Bill Conlin resigns amid child molestation investigation

Discussion in 'Journalism topics only' started by Evil ... Thy name is Orville Redenbacher!!, Dec 20, 2011.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Moderator1

Moderator1 Moderator Staff Member

I just sent the following comment under my name:

good work on all this. But please stop calling him a Hall of Fame baseball writer. He is not. He won the Spink Award. He is NOT in the Hall of Fame.

2. playthrough

playthrough Moderator Staff Member

Whoever's editing comments must be a busy fellow. And interesting that they've added them after reader requests.

3. Raiders

Raiders Guest

http://www.philly.com/philly/news/20111224_Seventh_allegation_takes_Conlin_abuse_cases_back_to_1960s.html?cmpid=125219969

Conlin could not be reached for comment Friday. Through his attorney, George Bochetto, he has declined to address the allegations but has vowed to clear his name.

"This has obviously been crushing to Mr. Conlin," Bochetto said Friday. "Frankly, I am now more concerned about Mr. Conlin and his ability to carry on. I hope for Mr. Conlin's sake that at some point we will have the opportunity to understand and investigate all of the facts."

And this is why people despise lawyers.

4. Moderator1

I also emailed the writer. That shit is starting to make me nuts

5. Moderator1

Got a very nice response from the writer - a whoops, I knew that and did it anyway, thanks for pointing it out kind of thing.

6. Starman

Starman Well-Known Member

I don't get in a situation like this why a defendant would not order his attorney to issue with every single statement, "Mr. Conlin of course denies the allegations."

What's to lose? If the incidents are proven in court, you lose anyway. If any kind of even semi-credible doubt can be established, you're on record as saying you never did it.

Evasive semantic non-denial denials such as this one are as good as admission.

7. Moderator1

TOTAL SPECULATION HERE - but maybe the lawyer is saying to himself, "Holy FUCK!"

8. playthrough

playthrough Moderator Staff Member

Yeah, anyone else see The Sports Reporters today?

9. Starman

Starman Well-Known Member

Wouldn't surprise me a bit, but you would think any defendant with at least a basic general knowledge of the legal system, which I would think would include Conlin, would tell his lawyer to include at least some kind of denial of the charges in any statement about the case.

Or else, if you're going to plead no contest, plead no contest.

10. Moderator1

More speculation:

Lawyer - They are coming out of the woodwork here!!
    Client: They're lying.
    Lawyer: ALL OF THEM!?!? (this guy is full of shit and I have to find a way off this one)

11. jaredk

jaredk Member

Didn't I read that Conlin's in some Philadelphia-centric hall of fame?....So as long as they're not saying a MLB hall of famer, given that there's probably a dozen halls of fame he might be in, it's not inaccurate. Just weasely and misleading.

12. Double J

Double J Active Member

Who fucking cares how good he was or may have been?

If the allegations are true - and no one seems to be denying them - then he's a lowlife piece of shit, and fuck-all else matters.

Speaking of things that don't matter.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.