1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

U of Kansas beat in Kansas City?

Discussion in 'Journalism Jobs' started by michael_badley, Dec 14, 2011.

1. TigerVols

TigerVols Well-Known Member

Yeah? Tell that to Chris Low's replacement at the Tennessean (whoever that was; the beat was blown away so soon thereafter I can't remember!)

2. PBOWKER

PBOWKER Member

Back in my day at the KC Star (when it was still the morning KC Times and afternoon KC Star), KU and Mizzou coverage was assisted by interns at Missouri and Kansas hired on an annual basis, usually (or always) J-school students at those schools. The interns covered practices every day so that the beat writers didn't have to make the daily trip, and interns also covered some home basketball games, and wrote siders/notebooks at home football games and conference home basketball games.

Do they still use interns to help out the beat writers?

Chiefs have always been a huge beat in KC, but in the George Brett years I think the Royals were No. 1 at this paper, not the Chiefs. Especially when there were two daily papers. Not now, though. Royals haven't gotten their act together since.

Mizzou and KU beats were about even. In fact, it was always a toss-up which game got the lead headline when both were playing on the same night. Regardless of records and rankings, there are a ton of Tiger fans on the Missouri side (where the Star is actually located), and a ton of Jayhawkers on the Kansas side.

3. Mizzougrad96

Mizzougrad96 Active Member

I would fully expect that from 1976 til about 1990 that the Royals would have been the top beat.

4. TGO157

TGO157 Active Member

As a Nebraska fan, you just made me sad. Stupid Bill Callahan.

5. Mizzougrad96

This is very true. It is certainly never a given that the big paper is going to beat the hometown paper and the Tennessee beat was proof of this even when Low (one of the best) was on the beat for the Nashville paper. I've always really liked the Knoxville paper even though they have (or had) one of the worst web addresses for a sports section (govols.com).

6. Mizzougrad96

Not a Nebraska fan on any level, but it's good for college football when NU is in the top 10. It keeps things interesting...

7. Versatile

Versatile Active Member

Crazy to think of all the talent gone from Kansas City, most voluntarily. Head count of the big-name writers, though I'm sure I'm missing a few:

Elizabeth Merrill - ESPN
    Wright Thompson - ESPN
    Jason King - ESPN
    Jason Whitlock - Fox Sports
    Bill Reiter - Fox Sports
    Joe Posnanski - Sports Illustrated
    Jeff Passan - Yahoo! Sports
    Jim Pedley - Racin' Today

But the paper is still loaded with talent: Sam Mellinger, Adam Teicher, Bob Dutton, Candace Buckner (Is she still around?)...

8. ReyHeath

ReyHeath Member

Candace left to write books.

9. Simon

Simon Active Member

Brady announced on his twitter and on the Star website this afternoon that tonight's game at USC is the last event he's covering for the Star.

http://campuscorner.kansascity.com/node/2316

10. Matt Stephens

Matt Stephens Well-Known Member

Brady has always done an awesome job and Sam Mellinger always keeps things interesting with his feature column, yet the first comment on that going away post is "thank God."

Geeze.

11. JerryMicco

JerryMicco Member

Just to clarify the first post, we are happy to have Brady McCollough as our new enterprise writer at the Post-Gazette. Welcome aboard, Brady!

12. spankys

spankys Member

Anyone know if there's movement here?

Draft saved Draft deleted