1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Gannett buys iPhones, iPads, etc., for its journalists

Discussion in 'Journalism topics only' started by MisterCreosote, Dec 22, 2011.

1. Stitch

Stitch Active Member

Using a company iPhone is Bette than using your own. I stopped using my phone for work purposes at my last paper.

2. GlenQuagmire

GlenQuagmire Active Member

One of my old Gannett shops surveyed its employees a few months ago to see what they felt could be done to make their jobs easier. Photographers suggested that reporters take their own pictures. This move would be a shift in that direction. It's obvious there's little concern for quality in this company, so why not lump more on the reporters (in addition to writing, shooting video, blogging, tweeting, live chatting, etc.) and provide a reason to lay off photographers?

3. Stitch

Stitch Active Member

Any photographer that suggests a reporter take their own pictures is an idiot. I've worked with a few that we're like that.

4. 1HPGrad

1HPGrad Member

Just heard Indy is handing out $1K bonuses to select employees.
    Any other Gannett papers doing this?

5. rpmmutant

rpmmutant Member

The sad part is the iPhone4 and iPad2 will be out of date before they even get in reporters' hands. And hundreds of photographers with good enough equipment to produce professional content will be out of work.

6. playthrough

playthrough Moderator Staff Member

Sounds great until you shoot video, tweet five times, take pictures, facebook, blog and write the dead-tree edition from one event ... and your quota-minded editor calls you to the carpet for not tweeting six times.

7. Raiders

Raiders Guest

That's happening at a lot of places now, isn't it?

8. playthrough

playthrough Moderator Staff Member

Sure, but maybe not with a company-bought iPad in your hand.

9. Tarheel316

Tarheel316 Well-Known Member

This.

10. PeterGibbons

PeterGibbons Member

Either that or they'll just require them to buy all the apps required to properly get their job done

What? We bought the damn phone for you! Besides, now you'll have something to play with during the next furlough we have so all this stuff can be paid for

11. clutchcargo

clutchcargo Active Member

So beat writer covering Cowboys-Redskins shoots cover-caliber action art from the press box???? Can't wait to see those photos. Oh, wait, I get it. Editors tell beat writers to get their butts to the sideline and cover NFL games like prep writers---take notes, shoot a few token photos in first, run up and down the sideline. No problem.

12. clutchcargo

clutchcargo Active Member

Furloughs are very strict about not doing or using anything work-related during the furlough days, so, no, you can't play with the iPhone or iPad during the furlough.

Draft saved Draft deleted