1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Two college beat positions in Toledo

Discussion in 'Journalism Jobs' started by HackyMcHack, Dec 22, 2011.

1. HackyMcHack

HackyMcHack Member

Don't know why The Blade goes the blind ad route since it is the only daily in Toledo ... there is a fairly healthy independent publication with free distribution that does some sports, but that paper only publishes once or twice a week. Anyhow, assuming that this is indeed The Blade, they're advertising for two college beat writers, one for a "Big Ten school" ... they do things with both Michigan and Ohio State ... and one for a "MAC school" ... they staff both Toledo and Bowling Green full-time. The posted salary range is 35K to 40K, which seems down quite a bit for them from what they were offering a decade ago. The Blade is a guild shop.

http://www.journalismjobs.com/Job_Listing.cfm?JobID=1306867

2. Bucknutty

Bucknutty Member

That's a very strangely worded job posting. I know their outdoors guy just retired and I think their Michigan, BGSU and UT writers were pretty young guys, so it's possible two of them are leaving. The OSU beat writer, Matt Markey, is one of the best and I can't see him going anywhere anytime soon.

3. BujuBanton

BujuBanton Member

geez 35-40 seems like big money to me, must've been nice back in the olden days.

4. KJIM

KJIM Well-Known Member

I have a friend who's been hired on there news side.

It's nice to see a paper filling multiple openings.

5. HackyMcHack

HackyMcHack Member

Markey has been named the new outdoors editor, which is a big deal at that paper.

http://www.toledoblade.com/sports/2011/12/22/Markey-to-carry-on-Blade-s-outdoors-tradition.html

6. Thorough, thorough interest in this one, although it seems like a "super-young need not apply" type, and is way out of my geographical range, which could be a big deal if a potential contraction comes down the pike.

So...who knows. Maybe I'll apply

7. Seem like good cheese for someone who ain't making none.

Cut and paste on they site to apply, really though?

8. spikechiquet

spikechiquet Well-Known Member

I work here. Yes, Matt Markey (who did OSU and NASCAR) is moving on up to take over for Steve Pollick. Zach Silka (Toledo) is taking a job outside of the paper biz. That doesn't mean that those will be the positions...but most likely it will be.
    PM me for details.

9. Pcotton

Pcotton New Member

The NASCAR may throw me a bit, but I'd take it given the chance. Especially for that money.

10. Justin Biebler

Justin Biebler Active Member

I think the NASCAR part of the job is more or less when they race at MIS.

11. spikechiquet

spikechiquet Well-Known Member

There is also a local track in Toledo that runs a variety of races through the summer.

12. Don't mean to call you out specifically, but "that money" is $35k at a 125k circ. newspaper in what I imagine is a union shop.

Sad what expectations have now become.

Draft saved Draft deleted