1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Basketball Coaches (vindictive) Gone Wild Again...

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by qtlaw, Dec 19, 2011.

1. qtlaw

qtlaw Well-Known Member

Someone in the Philly area please ask Phil Martelli what good it does to deny a grad student transfer?

http://sportsillustrated.cnn.com/2011/basketball/ncaa/12/19/todd.obrien/index.html?eref=sihp&sct=hp_t12_a2

Yet again we see how much the NCAA, the organization that earns $1B on the backs of athletes, "cares" about the "student-athletes."

2. Pancamo

Pancamo Active Member

He will be on the set of ESPN during the tournament and Dickie V will talk about how Martelli is a great paisan.

3. poindexter

poindexter Well-Known Member

"molder of men"

4. LongTimeListener

LongTimeListener Well-Known Member

If this is true ...

After calling me a few choice words, he informed me that he would make some calls so that I would be dropped from my summer class and would no longer graduate. He also said that he was going to sue me.

that would be grounds for dismissal. Intentional obstruction of an athlete's academic pursuits.

5. bigpern23

bigpern23 Well-Known Member

Phil Martelli has always been an unadulterated douche. This doesn't surprise me one bit.

And no thread about vindictive coaches gone wild is complete without this clip of a fellow Philadelphia coaching legend. :D

6. Lester Bangs

Lester Bangs Active Member

Glad the kid spoke up. One of the biggest injustices in college sports is these kids thinking that once they sign the LOI, they've waived their First Amendment rights. They think this because the PR foofs tell them they can't talk.

7. ChrisMaza

ChrisMaza Member

As someone who went to St. Joe's and has continued to root for them even in through some very bad years recently, this is extremely disheartening. I knew Martelli was a guy who could be hard on his players, but I was always under the impression that he was someone who stood for what the rest of the university does. Clearly if this is true, he becomes one of the greatest examples of what is inherently wrong in college sports and I can't think of anything short of dismissal being an appropriate action.
    As a Hawk, I could not be more embarrassed.

8. LongTimeListener

LongTimeListener Well-Known Member

You can see the weak sauce the administration is dishing up by hiding behind the "private matter" excuse. Loses a bit when the matter in question has already been made public by the very person the law is supposedly protecting.

9. Lester Bangs

Lester Bangs Active Member

If I could request one thing be done in sports, it would be to force some level of transparency on universities as it pertains to their dealings with athletes. They routinely treat kids like shit and hide behind FERPA. All records should be open with names and identifying details redacted.

10. Situation

Situation Member

I whole-heartedly agree that Martelli is a royal asshole here.

At the same time, I get sick of kids jumping from school to school because they don't feel like they're getting enough playing time or feel they don't fit in with the program. The easiest path is to simply jump ship. This player has been at three schools in five years. Really? I don't like the idea of that either. What happened to commitment and loyalty? That applies to coaches, as well.

11. rmanfredi

rmanfredi Active Member

Billy Packer doesn't think this is even worth mentioning.

12. qtlaw

qtlaw Well-Known Member

The guy graduated, its not like he's the 1 and done guy. St. Joe's doesn't even have the graduate program he wants (and which he interned in the previous summer). There is no good reason to bar the guy from playing.

You think he's going to upset the balance? Open the floodgates? You know what the percentage is of D1 players who graduate with a year of eligibility left? I would bet Mitt Romney's $10k that its less than 1%. Yeah, that's going to kill the competitive balance in D1 basketball.

Draft saved Draft deleted