1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

George Vecsey to stop writing his column and semi-retire from NYT

Discussion in 'Journalism topics only' started by Double Down, Dec 16, 2011.

1. Double Down

Double Down Well-Known Member

Regardless of how you feel about his work, he's a very kind man.

http://www.nytimes.com/2011/12/17/sports/with-one-more-from-the-heart-a-columnist-steps-away-george-vecsey.html?src=tp&smid=fb-share

2. Quakes

Quakes Guest

A classy farewell. I noticed Schreiber and Laura Vescey in the comments section, too.

I'm curious about something. Vescey talks about following in the footsteps of Dave Anderson and Red Smith to write the "Sports of the Times" column. I guess I've never paid attention to this, but is only one Times columnist at a time assigned ownership (for lack of a better word) of the "Sports of the Times" column? I sort of assumed that every column in the Times sports section fell under the "Sports of the Times" banner, but perhaps I'm wrong. Is what Harvey Araton or William C. Rhoden writes not "Sports of the Times"?

3. 21

21 Well-Known Member

Harvey and Rhoden both wrote for that space as did a select few others. Not every column in the Times was 'Sports of the Times.'

4. Joe Williams

Joe Williams Well-Known Member

"Sports of the Times" (New York Times)
    "In the Wake of the News" (Chicago Tribune)

Archaic crap from days when newspapers mattered. And even then, I can't understand what the distinction was to have Vecsey writing under the SOTT label and Rhoden, Araton or whomever writing columns without it.

Did readers ever give a rat's ass about those headings?

Seems like a whole lot of "Assistant Regional Manager" vs. "Assistant to the Regional Manager" title B.S.

5. Ben_Hecht

Ben_Hecht Active Member

Guy's a pro.

Hate to lose another.

6. goalmouth

goalmouth Well-Known Member

The man was as affable as could be to a know-nothing bridge-and-tunnel schlemiel on his first national gig, and for that I am grateful.

7. Joe Lapointe

Joe Lapointe Member

George was (is) a pro's pro. A team player. A great talent. More open-minded and curious than some people half his age.

8. mrbio

mrbio Member

A very kind man, approachable and friendly.

9. ringer

ringer Active Member

When he mentioned Selena Roberts, it made me realize how rarely I ever see her byline in SI.

What the heck do they have her doing over there?

Talk about under-utilized!

10. Double Down

Double Down Well-Known Member

I think she might be on book leave.

11. EditingTool

EditingTool New Member

I'm a fan. I think he's underrated. Not a shouting type of columnist, more of a storyteller.
    But in the face of injustice, he can bring it with the best of them.

An easy-to-read style, elegant in its way.
    His wisdom and decency come off the page.

Covered soccer as if he knew it would catch on over here -- as usual, he was right.
    Congratulations on a great career.

12. Versatile

Versatile Active Member

I've read Roberts is on book leave, as well.

The "Sports of the Times" is basically a way of saying "This Is A Big Deal Column," often with a broad approach, as opposed to, say, the "On [Sport]" columns that are sports specific. But there's not a lot of consistency. Rhoden, Vecsey and, when he makes an appearance, Anderson consistently write (until now) with the "Sports of the Times" sig. I don't think Araton has had a "Sports of the Times" sig on his columns for a few years now. Mostly "On [Sport]" or just straight feature stories.

Draft saved Draft deleted