1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Keurig coffeemakers - Worth the $$$$?

Discussion in 'Anything goes' started by BurnsWhenIPee, Dec 6, 2011.

1. Jake_Taylor

Jake_Taylor Well-Known Member

That's been the Office Depot way this entire shopping season. They've had some incredible get-you-in-the-store sales on tablets and computers, but they are never in stock.

2. bagelchick

bagelchick Active Member

One other note about the Keurig: My sister has one and it recently stopped working. She went to Macy's to buy a new one and the Keurig rep was there doing a demo. Told her to call the company and they would replace the machine for free. All you had to do was send back some thingamajigy so that it would render the current machine inoperable.

Nice that they stand behind their equipment like that.

3. SoCalDude

SoCalDude Active Member

I was walking through Bed, Bath and Beyond the other day. When I saw how the stuff was displayed (like, everywhere) and the frenzy of shoppers, I thought I should have bought some Keurig stock a couple of months ago.

4. YankeeFan

YankeeFan Well-Known Member

You'll be glad you didn't buy it August or September when you look at this chart:

http://www.nasdaq.com/symbol/gmcr/interactive-chart?timeframe=1y&charttype=line

5. JR

JR Well-Known Member

I think I posted this earlier but at the end of the day, if you have good coffee beans that are well ground, you still can't beat a French press for quality. And hey, a Bodem press is at most $40.00.

6. Boom_70

Boom_70 Well-Known Member

What do you use at the start of the day to make your coffee?

7. Moderator1

Moderator1 Moderator Staff Member

I agree on a press - I used to have one and wish I knew where it was these days.
    But for a quick cup, this Keurig is a beaut. I'm on No. 2 of the day now.

8. Bad Guy Zero

Bad Guy Zero Active Member

Not to threadjack, but I know a couple of people that have Nespresso machines/capsules and absolutely love them. One owns a model that has a carrying case that she takes with her whenever she travels.

9. SF_Express

SF_Express Active Member

I confused the issue by using the term "pods." Meant to say DD now says K-Cups in several flavors, as others have noted.

Helpful hint: Always pull the spent K-cup out of the machine immediate after it's done brewing. Saves some mess and drips that way.

Easiest coffee deal ever.

10. Moderator1

Moderator1 Moderator Staff Member

Went into the DD near my "real" house over the weekend. They not only sell the pods - they sell the machines. Hey, I already have one of those!

11. BurnsWhenIPee

BurnsWhenIPee Well-Known Member

I understand you can get a better cup of coffee from using a french press.

But for my wife, waking up and walking into the kitchen with her eyes half-open and wanting to get a cup of coffee going before she goes to get the kids out of bed, showered, dressed and on the way to school, and to get herself showered, dressed and out the door for work ... is she more likely take the time and effort to make a cup of coffee with a french press, or make what is still a darned good cup of coffee by dropping a K-cup into the slot, closing the lid and pressing a button?

For us at least, it's the balancing of quality, time and ease of use that puts Keurig over the top.

12. YankeeFan

YankeeFan Well-Known Member

Stop calling them pods!

K-cups.

Draft saved Draft deleted