1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Last movie you watched......

Discussion in 'Anything goes' started by Jenny Jobs, Dec 29, 2008.

1. dreunc1542

dreunc1542 Active Member

Yeah, she's far from being awful and she was phenomenal in Black Swan. She clearly doesn't care about some roles and phones them in, but when she has good material to work with she usually does a good job with it.

2. NDub

NDub Guest

I don't know how much credence some of you put in awards (fucking Golden Globe snubbed Breaking Bad for Best Drama category today), but Portman won a lot for her performance in Black Swan, including the Oscar for Best Actress. She's far from being "awful, awful."

She would've had a much bigger 2011 had she not been preggers and her womb forever destroyed. /weeps

3. Buck

Buck Well-Known Member

I loved that movie.

4. mrbio

mrbio Member

WC Fields in The Bank Dick. Decent movie. Probably would have loved it 50 years ago.

5. Dick Whitman

Dick Whitman Well-Known Member

I'll give her "Black Swan." I think the director did a tremendous job finding her strengths and coaxing a great performance out of her.

She's usually very bad, though.

6. Dick Whitman

Dick Whitman Well-Known Member

Oh, yeah. He's on quite a winning streak right now.

7. DanOregon

DanOregon Well-Known Member

The new Sherlock Holmes movie has received pretty bad reviews. Not a surprise. Recently saw the first one. When I viewed it as a Sherlock Holmes movie - I hated it. When I think of it as an action movie with a character named Sherlock Holmes it isn't that bad - but my holy, the only thing worse than a Guy Ritchie film is a a Guy Ritchie film with a big budget. Don't know if he tries to get in the way of the story because he knows the script is crap - or you are just so distracted by the camera moves, slo-mos etc. that you can't figure out the plot.

8. holy bull

holy bull Active Member

Saw "Melancholia" today, and really liked it. Reminded me of "The Tree of Life," insofar as it was pretty conceptual and required that you be patient. I gained a high measure of respect for Kirsten Dunst, who I previously had associated only with Spiderman and the cheerleader movie. The whole cast was great.

9. holy bull

holy bull Active Member

I gathered that from the trailer. I just don't know what is accomplished by a super slo-mo of cannon shells ripping through trees, other than to show off your movie-making hyper-technology.

10. schiezainc

schiezainc Well-Known Member

I had free passes to the last Sherlock Holmes flick and though I loved the stories when I was a kid, the movie couldn't have bored me more than it did.

I fell asleep not once, not twice but three times during the flick and have yet to go back and try to give it another shot. Needless to say, I won't be checking out the sequel.

As for sequels worth checking out though? My brother and I caught an advance screening of Mission Impossible 4 last night at IMAX. Hollllyyy crap.

Now, don't get me wrong, the story itself isn't anything to write home about and there is absolutely ZERO character development but the action scenes? The technology? Good stuff.

Mark my words, the scene at the world's tallest building will go down as one of the year's best. It's easily the best action scene I've seen since the flying black swans diving out of the plane in Transformers 3.

Cool flick if you've got some time to kill/want to see cool effects. Might be better Redbox/Netflix'd though.

11. NoOneLikesUs

NoOneLikesUs Active Member

I hear they give Noomi Rapace (Girl With The Dragon Tattoo) nothing to do in the film. That's a deal-breaker for me.

12. Moderator1

Moderator1 Moderator Staff Member

Crazy, Stupid Love - stayed home and watched it on DVD last night. Far from great but we enjoyed it. Never had a baby-sitter give me naked pictures and I was a cute 13-year-old with long hair.

Emma Stone is my new love interest among actors.

Draft saved Draft deleted