1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Marines exaggerate deeds of war hero?

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by Evil ... Thy name is Orville Redenbacher!!, Dec 15, 2011.

1. Marines deny it, but reporter who was there points to things contrary to the "official account" that led to Dakota Meyer's Congressional Medal of Honor.

http://news.yahoo.com/us-marines-deny-exaggerating-deeds-war-hero-070549889.html

2. Tarheel316

Tarheel316 Well-Known Member

3. Stitch

Stitch Active Member

What does the formal name of the award have to do with the story Evil posted?

4. armageddon

armageddon Active Member

No, it doesn't get to the crux of the story. But why does asking for accuracy bother you? Is this not a journalism board?

5. Stitch

Stitch Active Member

In this instance, it's a swerve from the crux of the story in asking if the military manufacturers heroes for good PR.

6. Ace

Ace Well-Known Member

Most definitely.

7. armageddon

armageddon Active Member

And I'm sure it's the first time in the history of the board that happened.

Fact is, the original poster screwed up the name of a prestigious honor. It's at a minimum worth noting.

Hell, had I seen it I would have noted it because the fact that people mess it up drives me batty.

And my noting it wouldn't have been an attempt to move the focus of the discussion. My intent would have been simply to remind that it's the medal of honor rather than the congressional medal of honor.

8. No problem.
    No offense taken on my part from anyone...

Name of the medal aside... why does the military do this shit?

9. buckweaver

buckweaver Active Member

I posted this in July about Doug Sterner, who was quoted in the story above, and I think it's worth reposting here:

Hollywood feels compelled to exaggerate stories even when the truth is sufficiently heroic/dramatic ... why should the military be any different? It's sad to see it from the Marines, but I'm glad it's getting exposed.

10. KJIM

KJIM Well-Known Member

In related news, Jessica Lynch graduates from college:

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-2074070/Jessica-Lynch-Iraq-POW-set-finally-fulfill-dream-teacher.html

11. HanSenSE

HanSenSE Well-Known Member

Pat Tillman's family would like to know why, too.

12. And Jessica Lynch.

Draft saved Draft deleted