1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

"To tell you the truth, at the end of the day, it is what it is...

Discussion in 'Journalism topics only' started by Starman, Dec 10, 2011.

1. SFIND

SFIND Well-Known Member

Sometimes we as writers have our backs against the wall. We have editors that expect our A-game every time we lace up the cleats. I don't want to point fingers, but sometimes we get overworked. So we stick to what's been working: cliches.

But you can't win them all. Your editor would have a field day with your work if you went to the well once too often.

You win some and lose some. But at the end of the day, you've can only blame the person in the mirror for using cliches. I tip my hat to the editor that taught me writing is about winning, and that cliches aren't proven winners.

So we've got to move forward and get better each time we step up to the plate.

Tebow'd.

2. Brian

Brian Well-Known Member

Funny thing is, we had a great week of practice heading into this game.

3. micropolitan guy

micropolitan guy Well-Known Member

I just didn't come ready to post on this thread.

4. Spartan Squad

Spartan Squad Well-Known Member

"You know what, they played hard and showed a lot of heart."

5. Spartan Squad

Spartan Squad Well-Known Member

I used to hear the opposite from the local football coach after their wins:
    "The funny thing is, we didn't have a good practices this week, but they showed up on Friday."

6. dooley_womack1

dooley_womack1 Well-Known Member

You just didn't have that intensity

7. playthrough

playthrough Moderator Staff Member

We just wanted it more.

8. Golazo21

Golazo21 Member

"We deserved to win, but what can you say? A couple of mistakes cost us."

I deserved to win MegaMillions, but what can I say? A couple of non-winning numbers cost me.

9. Versatile

Versatile Active Member

You start this thread a hundred different times, you'll get a hundred different outcomes.

10. Football coach at Podunk High. "That was a great football game. That football team we played tonight was tough. But our football team was better and Joey Smith was the best football player out there tonight."

In case you didn't know, we were talking football.

11. That 1 Guy

That 1 Guy Member

Surprised it took three pages to see this one. Always shocked every time I hear it. You mean, the other team didn't want to win a state title as much as you did?

12. bigblueman

bigblueman Member

That's the way cliche go.

Draft saved Draft deleted