1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Stern block Chris Paul trade to Lakers

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by Elliotte Friedman, Dec 8, 2011.

1. Some Guy

Some Guy Active Member

With any other NBA team, a trade would be subject to the owner's approval before it could be consummated. In this case, the NBA happens to own the team. So, from that narrow viewpoint, David Stern -- representing the Hornets' de facto "owner" -- has every right to tell his GM "not good enough."

Even if he's wrong.

The real problem here is the NBA owning the Hornets in the first place. That needs to be rectified ASAP, or you're going to continue to have a conflict of interest.

2. Elliotte Friedman

Elliotte Friedman Moderator Staff Member

Hope Demps got a big raise out of this. If not, don't understand why he'd continue to work. Talk about your balls being cut off.

3. TigerVols

TigerVols Well-Known Member

If Chris Paul winds up playing regularly in Staples Center and Dwight Howard doesn't, there will be riots on Fig well before the playoffs.

4. Double Down

Double Down Well-Known Member

Simmons continues to do a nice job hammering this goddamn farce.

http://www.grantland.com/story/_/id/7348176/the-eighth-day-nba-christmas

5. da man

da man Well-Known Member

Yes.

That was easy.

6. qtlaw

qtlaw Well-Known Member

FWIW, Vecsey wrote today: "the Warriors (NOLA wants Monta Ellis, Andris Biedrins and rookie Klay Thompson)."

Read more: http://www.nypost.com/p/sports/more_sports/paul_of_confusion_wK1uko3V1atBTgNkbfmHzI#ixzz1gSp5UDUY

Hope that was not just to tease those of us on the Left Coast because I'd do that even if it was only for one season for the W's (we still cherish the '07 We Believe memories).

7. Double Down

Double Down Well-Known Member

Does it seem odd that I just realized I went a couple of years totally forgetting Peter Vescey even exists? I seriously think more often about George, which would have been ridiculous to say in the 1990s.

8. Mizzougrad96

Mizzougrad96 Active Member

It's called wishful thinking... :D

9. Some Guy

Some Guy Active Member

I don't know how they could. It's an auction. We all know what the winning bid was. If you were, say, Minnesota, and you know you bid more than what the Clippers eventually got Billups for ... wouldn't you say something? Cry foul?

Or are we suggesting that the league office called every NBA team, told them the Clippers were winning this damn thing whether you like it or not, so don't bother?

That would seem like too big a secret to keep.

10. rmanfredi

rmanfredi Active Member

...or if the league made sure that the Clippers were able to turn their bid in last, and dropped some serious hints about what the high bid was at the time.

11. PCLoadLetter

PCLoadLetter Well-Known Member

Thank God Stern kept him away from a big market club like the Lakers.

12. TheSportsPredictor

TheSportsPredictor Well-Known Member

It appears that this haul is better than what the first deal got them. And the Lakers got screwed, so there's that.

Draft saved Draft deleted