1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Robert Horry ... HOF???

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by Situation, Dec 7, 2011.

1. dirtybird

dirtybird Well-Known Member

Well that about nails it.

2. Pancamo

Pancamo Active Member

Jack Haley.
    One ring.
    HOF?

Discuss

3. Frédéric Weis: Hall of Fame? Remember, this is about FAME, not talent.

4. Piotr Rasputin

Piotr Rasputin New Member

Fixed.

5. da man

da man Well-Known Member

Except someone thought enough of his game to have him on the floor when they needed to make a last-second shot.

Obviously, not even close to a Hall of Famer, but there was something there when it came to crunch time. He wasn't just out there to make five on the court.

6. joe

joe Active Member

I think Horry would agree that he's not a hall of famer. I saw an interview, or read a story, several years ago in which Horry said he would give up all his rings to be one of the greats, and to be thought of that way, like Barkley. Rings are nice, but fame is a better mistress.

7. LongTimeListener

LongTimeListener Well-Known Member

That's a really interesting nugget considering how much weight championships get in fan and media discussions. Of course, Barkley also hung on way too long looking for the ring.

8. bigpern23

bigpern23 Well-Known Member

I can understand that mentality from a role player. I think the expectation though is that a great player should win rings. Nobody cares how many rings Steve Kerr has, they care how many Jordan has.

Rings will never factor into a discussion of how good Kerr or some other role player was or wasn't. People care about how many rings the greats have because they play a factor in how we compare them to other greats.

9. Bubbler

Bubbler Well-Known Member

I knew Marques Johnson would be right around that .500 mark.

10. Some Guy

Some Guy Active Member

I can't decide if Robert Horry is underrated or overrated based on this thread. Obviously, he doesn't belong in the HOF ... but to discount his role on seven championship teams is ludicrous.

11. Mizzougrad96

Mizzougrad96 Active Member

He helped earn those titles. Nobody is discounting that. He was a key role player on most of those teams.

The Lakers probably would have one fewer title (2002) without him.

12. Petrie

Petrie Guest

Reggie at 6 percent?

Draft saved Draft deleted