1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Oh F*** - rather uncomfortable error

Discussion in 'Journalism topics only' started by Moderator1, Dec 1, 2011.

1. cyclingwriter

cyclingwriter Active Member

So Newberry buried his lede? Big deal.

2. playthrough

playthrough Moderator Staff Member

The magic of regional editing centers. Not that this couldn't have happened locally, but still...if the Greenville editor wanted to bitch out the person responsible for this, he had to do it by phone.

3. Lieslntx

Lieslntx Active Member

I gotta be honest. I clicked on this thread because I thought our Moddy had made the uncomfortable error.

4. SoCalDude

SoCalDude Active Member

Once a long time ago, my paper ran a camera-ready ad from a sporting goods company. One of the items was a sleeping bag. There was a cartoon-ish guy in the sleeping bag with a satisfied smile on his face. And halfway down the sleeping bag there was a bulge that was highlighted.

5. Chad Conant

Chad Conant Member

Someone on our desk has the donkey dicks clip and the next day apology. She also has the famous Some Fucker cutline.

6. copperpot

copperpot Well-Known Member

7. JayFarrar

JayFarrar Well-Known Member

What was the paper that had "I love big tits" in its sports agate one day?

8. playthrough

playthrough Moderator Staff Member

My buddies worked in the back production room at our college paper (back when you'd still use hot wax and x-acto knives) and the agate page was theirs to do. Every now and then one of their names would, um, sneak in. "Hey Brad, congrats on that 38th-place finish at the Greater Hartford Open."

9. murphyc

murphyc Well-Known Member

For those of us who aren't, can you post some samples?

10. joe

joe Active Member

One of my old papers had a softball team identified in agate as Destined for F*cking Mediocrity. That was the rec league team's actual name, but man did the shit hit the fan the next day.

We became much more vigilant about checking the agate page after that.

11. doctorquant

doctorquant Well-Known Member

I recall The (Columbia, S.C.) State having a help wanted classified ad that said, "Fuck your way to the top. Company CEO seeks qualified Admin Assistant ..."

12. Bob Cook

Bob Cook Active Member

When I worked at the Corpus Christi Caller-Times back in the Stone Age, there was a clip in the newsroom from the McAllen Monitor that was our cautionary tale about not fooling around with placeholders.

The clip had this byline:

By Shit For Brains
    Associated Press

Draft saved Draft deleted